1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The last gig I went to...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Jun 19, 2009.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Shame...

Shame should have stayed another night in Pompey...cross betwixt Folk & Punk?..what would you call that?

[youtube]_Aulos-NGsk[/youtube]

c/a

Hope to get some pics up of Jo soon..sorry it began with J and called her Jane!

My bro-in-law probably knows them and would have gotten on with the Bad Shep-herds having got me into things like ISB, Roy Harper first ; and then Clash etc.

c/a

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

The Twang! I can honestly say, hand on heart, last night rocked to the rafters of Brum's o2 Academy. Even before they took to the stage the crowds - 3000 of them - were roaring and chanting. Every single person danced and sang along throughout 15 numbers. Very emotional during Either Way, which is just a classic song and everyone knows by heart. Stonking 3 song encore and even 5 minutes after that people still wanted more. The hottest gig too I have probably ever been to: everyone was dripping wet - literally!

And Chris, I did pass on your comment to Saunders about liking the album more now and that they gave you a lift. He said to say he's made up about that and thanks; it means a lot to hear that from fans.

They are lovely guys - underneath the image, especially Phil and Saunders. We all partied down a Jewellery Quarter hostelry after the show, then did a follow-that-cab-and-where-are-we-going trip around Brum ending up at 5am singing in Saunders's garden!

3. dave w

dave w Computer stained fingers

the last gig I went to was..............

an album launch party for Mumford & Sons. In a barn - somewehere in Hertfordshire (Standon ?) - straw on the floor, bales of hay lying around etc etc.

Lots of fun it was too despite it taking 2 and a half hours to get to.
    Buses were arranged from Kings Cross to the farm, and back again after the gig. Plenty of guests of the band got up and did their party piece - Laura Marling sang Jolene with them, Pete Roe (sp?), their sound guy, somebody calling himself King Charles (maybe mistaken about that) all did songs. And then there was a barn dance/hoedown type thing. By which time even Laura Marling was smiling...........

The album looks set to chart in the top 5 this week so it looks like a successful year for the band.

4. HarperPR

Caught The Twang last night at the Wedgewood Rooms in wild wild Pompey! Gutted that I missed the opener (due to a little er, 'problem' at the door:closedeyes:) Sound of Guns, but hoping they'll be on for Koko tomorrow (was still being decided). SOG were voted band of the week in the Guardian - I think they were described as sounding like 'early Alarm'!:wink: Nice guys too - from da 'pool, like! - had a chat with them afterwards. They seemed to know me as well - must be the Twitter mafia, haha.

The Twang were good but not as good as sometimes, and Phil having had the throat infection, was still not 100% fit. He kept his jacket on cos his mum had told him to so he didn't get a chill after his throat infection (bless!). I think he'd taken it off though by the time the beer was thrown at him - such a sign of affection.:confused1: Quite a few people there that I spoke to who had never seen or heard The Twang before - which was evident by pockets of non-singing in the crowd, which is unusual.

5. HarperPR

Three Twangs in four nights last week, plus no sleep Thur and Fri nights and review writing, has done for me! Now have the Twang bug they'd all been down with - and somehow have to find the energy to bounce again at Norwich tomorrow night!

But oh, it's been good. Slightly less rowdy night at Portsmouth was followed by Camden Koko on Thursday. Anyone who knows the venue will understand what it was like to see all the multi-tiered balconies packed and buzzin up to the rafters. Amazing sight. Support from Little Comets, who reminded me of Friendly Fires, and look like they could be big next year. Then Friday Brighton. Nice venue the Concorde 2, right on the seafront. Large room holding about 500. Sold out so was as full as could be. The best of the 3 shows, definitely. I just love those guys.

6. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I had never heard of 'em ... but on your recommendation I listen to a track on myspace ... well when I say a track, I mean about the first 10 secs of one ... ooh just didn't do it for me !!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  7. HarperPR

Oh Chris, I didn't actually recommend personally. It was more the vibe and talk that's been buzzin on them.

I did finally get to see Liverpool outfit Sound of Guns last night at The Waterfront in Norwich where they opened for The Twang. Bit more rocky and quite enjoyable. Whether they sound as the Guardian described them like an early Alarm, couldn't say, haven't really listened to the Alarm.

Final tour night for The Twang. Mad, mental, buzzin. Read my tweets on the Twitter link below for a bit of the flavour, so won't repeat again. :D But that is positively the first and last time I attempt tweeting during a gig: trying to do that, sing, dance, watch and drink all together was lunacy!

Not the best Twang gig (Phil said at one point, 'This is all turning into a bit of a shambles!'), as they were quite drunk to start, but blimey was it the funniest!

Nice gesture from them in putting a couple of bottles of brandy behind the bar for folks to all have a wee dram on them, by way of apology for having cancelled the original date there on 11th. And made my night when at the end of the finale when Phil and Saunders come off and leave the two guitarists and drummer to finish song, Phil spotted me, headed over with a hug and asked me how I was, was I alright (as he knew I was laid low with cold germs and not feeling good). I was so touched by that little gesture and concern.:blushing: They've been so kind to me, Phil especially, in their generosity and hospitality after the shows, and I so appreciate it, because they don't have to be. I'm nobody, just a fan, albeit maybe an obsessive mono-maniacal one, lol!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  8. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Shawn colvin

Saw her hours ago at a small but excellent venue in Skokie, Illinois (10 min. from my home. About 100 shy of a full house --600-700 seats).

Shawn has a tremendous voice, pure tone, writes her own songs and plays the guitar currently in a one-woman acoustic show. I got her first CD in 1989 and wanted to get caught up on her music. Her double-grammy (record & song) "Sunny Came Home" was released in 1996 -- my date and I are still trying to figure out why it's called a "murder ballad," but that describes her sense of humor and her song style (she killed the audience!).

Most importantly, it got my date to agree to see NICK HARPER at the ABBEY PUB in Chicago in four weeks (right SCOTPAULABEAR?). Now, if I can convince some more of my musical friends with free tickets (free for them, not me)...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  9. aspwatterson

SC for NC

[youtube]pRWfmW-LDIQ[/youtube]

Is that right NC your real name is Nick?

andi :confused1:

10. NoCelebrity

Watched the vid, which visually enhances the idea the song is a murder ballad, but didn't hear or see any reference to a "Nick."

Since i don't know where you got the idea my name is Nick, I have to disabuse (I hate this word!) you of that notion. Perhaps it means I'm going to see a Nick Harper show, or is it Shawn's ex-husband's name, or Sunny's victim?

Just a reminder, my real name is in fact "Jack." No, really! It's my first name but it was my great grandmother's maiden/last name.

Cheers to you, Andi! Jack.

11. aspwatterson

On...

On one of your posts you signed off as Nick that's all! Perhaps just a slip of the keyboard Jack?! For a while it made me wonder if No Celeb was a psuedonym for Nick Harper pretending to be from USA? But reading your posts and profile made me realise otherwise.

chrs
    andi

12. NoCelebrity

I "Jack"ed myself shaving?

I don't remember signing off as "Nick." Must have been a joke referencing something in the post, or just a very tired non-Freudian slip of the digits.

Surely my American use of "z" (as in realize) and my pronunciation:confused1: of words like "herb" (pronounced "urb") should give me away if I weren't so consistently "yankee-centric." (Hey, I like that term! Not to be confused with "yankee-eccentric.":biggrin:)

Best Wishes, Snoopy

13. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Yea just got back from a gig in a 15th century Pink lime washed Abbot's House here in Dunfermline Toon.

Steve Tilston was playing he played two sets and did a fine job. I think he played a couple of new songs or at least I didn't recognise some of them but that may just be down to my ignorance.

A particularly lovely moment was Anthony Believes which is a beautiful song. Other stand out songs were Road When I Was Young the topical but he wrote just before the Credit Crunch kicked in Pretty Penny
    and his version of Face The Music and Dance which he played as part of his Farther of the Bride speech at his daughter's wedding :)

Apparently there is a tribute gig later in the year for Davey Graham which Steve will be playing and Steve has written an instrumental that has strong hints of Davey's Anji. Steve explained that Davey's Anji has a descending bass line whereas his tune has an ascending bass line, so it's a sort of backwards anji so he's not sure if he's going to call it Ijna or just simply Davey G

If you get a chance to see Steve on his current tour do go.

14. NoCelebrity

Last Weekend / Next Weekend

Last Saturday I was at Gabe's backstage lounge in Highwood, Illinois to see varied forms of old and new bands at a pre- book-signing for "The Chicago Music Scene -- 1960s and 1970s." The author -- Dean Milano -- four other musicians in the book (Joan and Gary Gand who've owned my local music store for 30+ years, Jim Sohns, Jimy Rogers) and a handful of others, were performing mostly Chicago Blues for a few hours.

What was amazing to me was how easy it turned out to be to proselytize Roy and Nick Harper. It turns out the "Official" book release and signing is at the ABBEY PUB a day after NICK HARPER and Cy Curnin appear there. There will be musicians from about twenty of the bands mentioned in the book, each playing at least a number or two during the daytime. Folk, Country, Bluegrass, Soul, Pop, you name it... and BLUES!

Last Saturday, at the tiny venue in Highwood, two of the musicians knew who Roy was and one was curious how he's doing. Another said he'd be at the Nick/Cy show, but he may have mis-heard me and may have meant the book signing the next day (that was Jimy Rogers, singer from The Mauds).

Small world! Keep on going Nick and Roy!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  15. HarperPR

Richard Hawley at Union Chapel last Thursday, joined by a few Arctic Monkeys on stage. Good to see Corinne Railey Bae back. Sting's girl Coco (who has a nose JUST like dad - sadly, before he had the nose job) also on support with her band. Then last night a packed Brixton Academy for White Lies. Don't remember too much, the afterparty at Jamm has obliterated most!

16. Sadfish

Sadfish I've got a zappy little nappy

Last Monday went to see the Great Lake Swimmers at the Deaf Intitute in Manchester.

A good night out with our kid it was too.

17. Watford Pete

Watford Pete I've got a zappy little nappy

Last gig etc etc

Saw The Tragically Hip play last night.

1st time I've seen these Canadian crooners. What a great night.
    Not many English people there and I felt that I needed to get a Canadian Ice Hockey shirt to fit in.
    But what a set.

18. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

The Mahones were great, a true Christmas gig roast potatoes and turkey instead of nuts on the bar:biggrin:, but the first set with the Elvis impersonator didnt go down too well.:blink:

19. HarperPR

Last night saw Goldheart Assembly and Marina and the Diamonds at the Tabernacle in Notting Hill. Great venue. Goldheart great, but don't really go a bundle on Marina.

20. wessexy witch

wessexy witch I've got a zappy little nappy