1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Magpie Index - Gateshead Baltic

Discussion in 'General' started by arthurprecarious, Apr 11, 2010.

1. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious I've got a zappy little nappy

Hello All

Today I went to see the Magpie Index at the Baltic Gallery in Gateshead. It was pretty good! Roy in very High Def!! Close-up and in great form. Talking about everithing from the "Counter-Culture" to Blair and Roy as a failed popstar!!

I picked up a half dozen flyers so if anyone wants one PM me and i'll pop it in the post!

I'm away most of next week so it won't be a quick response.

2. Gordie T Geordie

Gordie T Geordie Computer stained fingers

I was there too but wasn't exactly overwhelmed! Nothing exactly wrong with it, but nothing very new and I couldn't help wondering "What's the point?" The novelty of seeing giant Roy soon wore off and I was left feeling that I could have read it all a lot quicker in a magazine or listened to it in more comfort on one of Paul's podcasts.

Then again, a quick look around the other current Baltic exhibitions confirmed that I clearly know nowt about art, reinforced by the BBC4 show on Goldsmiths tonight! I was impressed with that Roisin lass, mind! Steals stuff, eats it, ****s it out - and there's 'art'! Genius!!

3. tharper

tharper She's The One

i didn't get to see the installation at the de la warr pavilion so friday evening was the first time i saw it on the big screen (absolutely HUGE at the baltic!) and i was impressed. it was the first time the whole 'art' part of it made sense to me. i thought i would walk out after a polite 10 minutes but i loved it. quality work from the filming to the editing to the presentation in a great space.

the video is edited so that it can be walked into and out of at any time as you would do with a painting. intrigued, interested... stay a bit longer. exposure of those thoughts to a completely different audience. perhaps it will never show again. who knows. i know nothing at all about the art world except that it's going to take me another day or two to recover from last week...:wink:

4. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Your exception proves you know everything about Art!

5. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I'd love to go, but I'm looking at over £140 to get there and back... which makes flying to Europe for the weekend a lot cheaper. Strange economics here. :biggrin: