1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Matt Churchill Special

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by pd, Jul 16, 2008.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I've just published a special one-off podcast dedicated to Matt. I interviewed him recently while in Ireland and was so pleased with the result that I thought a one-off show with the interview and some of Matt's music was in order.

Matt comes over as a very enthusiastic and genuine person. As well as his work with Roy, we covered his solo career so far and also had a "guitarists geek-out" discussion. Hope you like it.

http://www.stormcock.net/node/472

2. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Well deserved! Not only is Matt a great guitarist, but he's a real sweetheart too :biggrin:

3. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Enjoyed that bonus one off episode Paul, it was interesting to hear Matt's early influences and favourite artists e.g. Zappa, Vai and Satriani. The guitar geekness was also interesting, although you lost me when talking of guitar string weights etc...:m8: Loved Matt's stuff too, I look forward to the next podcast, I sat down to have a coffee and a break from my glossing and before I knew it an hour had passed.

Keep up the good work

Shaun.

4. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Well this here guitar geek was well pleased with that podcast well done Paul :)

Practice practice pratice, but it was interesting hearing Matt recommending having lessons as both away of being discplined about practicing and also to avoid developing bad habits or getting stale. I've never had lessons as such although I did attend a guitar workshop at a Dougie Maclean weekend which I did at least learn some tunes in C tuning that I would never have sussed out otherwise, so maybe I should be looking into that.

Combining this with what I recently read in Andy Roberts blog about his approach to song writing and having been duly kicked up the proverbial as I have been trying whenever I have a spare moment to just write stuff down but to at least once a week make a deadline for myself. Of the stuff I've come up with it's all been poo, except I did manage to write lyrics for a song albeit to a tune I didn't write for a Birthday party which I was quite chuffed with.

My songwriting tip, as it has been the most productive for me (two songs so far), is ride a bike in the countryside. As you keep a steady pace you can hum tunes and come up with lyrics as you go along with no distractions (well mostly as you have to watch out for your typical UK BMW and Volvo car drivers). Only downside to this method is that once you have sussed something out you have to keep repeating it till you get home to write the blooming thing down.

5. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Thanks for the comments so far! Sorry about the slightly boomy/distorted quality of my voice in the "studio" bits. I'm having problems with my compressor and I think I need to tweak the settings a little for the next one.

The interview with Matt was done in his lounge at home with a portable microphone so that's why it's a bit echo-ey, but hopefully still listenable.

6. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Matt Churchill Podcast

Another excellent show, Paul. Matt made a very interesting interviewee. I had him pegged as an acoustic guitarist thanks to his involvement with Roy but clearly that's not really his main interest. Don't worry about the sound quality: it was fine. Although I was initially alarmed at the echoey sound, I soon adjusted to it. The choice of music was perfect too ...

Incidentally, is he aware of the Australian group The Church? It might be wise to change the group's name to avoid confusion.

Bob

7. LAdrain

LAdrain I've got a zappy little nappy

Podcast

A very nice interview with Matt, lets hope this may be the first of a few going into the "how and why" of playing music? An hour with Roy and his guitar explaining his songs is something I can only dream about.
    It would have been nice though to understand from Matt as to "How he does fill in the gaps".

Keep up the good work.

8. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Thanks again Paul!

Sometimes I find the best time for inspiration is just at that point of waking up whether in the middle of the night or in the morning. The key to it, I've found, is to have a pen and paper by the bedside and jot down your thoughts before they drift away into the etheral. Once you have a basic framework of the idea you want to explore lyrically, get on your wordpad on the computer and it's so much easier to fiddle around with words, lines, rhymes, verses [not forgetting the spellchecker & thesaurus!] and,as you do so, ideas , words, rhyming couplets etc. can just flow so much easier. Several times have thought about going to a music teacher when I can afford it but always thought maybe it would stifle any latent creativity by just theorising everything mathematically. Perhaps I'm a bit closed minded in this regard and jealous of those session guitarists who can play anything in any key etc? 'Andy Roberts bio' [just search that on Google] on the internet is also quite illuminating about his times with Roy and others of the musical fraternity. Likewise I would love to hear Roy oneday on a Pod about his guitar techniques of learning etc.

Fuzzy - would love any tabs you know in Open C [or Open C with the top treble E as an F] as it's one of my favs open tunings which must have loads more potential I suspect in my ears.As for some of Nick's open experimentations I'd have to save up for a guitar that could handle such specialities...dream on...one day...?

andy :chillpill: