1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the newest and most ignorant fan of all

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by eldorado, Oct 16, 2008.

1. eldorado

eldorado I've got a zappy little nappy

Hi-

There aren't many artists who can leave you awestruck instantly. A few seconds to know you want to carry this music with you for the rest of your life. So hats off to Roy Harper indeed. I got introducted to Roy Harper today by pure accident, "Flat Baroque And Berserk", which might not even be a notable album in his discography. I fell for this music instantly and I feel so damn grateful that such music exists that I needed to share this moment. "How does it feel" or "I hate the white man" are ...beyond words.

So call me the newest and most ignorant fan of all, but hey I already know it's forever. There's time to catch up. Right now I'm trying not to listen to these songs too often but I'm failing.

So I'll be sticking around but I'm not going to go too fast (I just took a look at his giant discography). If anything, I hope this post reminds some of you of that day. I hope it was as glorious as mine.

ELdorado

2. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Hello Eldorado, it certainly did thanks!:m2:

3. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

30 Years or 1 Day

I've been rediscovering ROY after losing touch across the pond (as I've said so many times). So yes, your story is familiar. I'm late making my latest purchase to get caught up.

"The Game" on HQ did it for me. I had that album and VALENTINE for my first five years. Add BEGGAR and BAROQUE, and that was all until 2007. I missed the JUGULA effect until this year (wow!), and I've been fascinated by all the stuff I missed from the 1970s (STORMCOCK, LIFEMASK, BULLINAMINGVASE...).

CONGRATULATIONS!

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

I'm the same!

I grew up with most of Roy's early stuff but am delaying some of the later stuff which I've not heard as some sort of tantalising experiment on myself. Like eating all the cabbage and potatoes and gravy on the plate and leaving the meat until the end. When I get some money I intend purchasing his entire discography for serendipity. But wait! There is a pudding for afters! Have you heard any of Nick Harper Harper's stuff? There is another tresure trove which I have started dipping into. Saw him live yonks ago with Roy and missed loads of his later stuff. He's good! Bloody good! Also excellent live in Hampshire this year!

chrs
    andi :m14: :grouphug: :m14:

5. eldorado

Hi andi -

It's exactly that, I guess we eat the same way we listen to music:54: I'm not familiar with Nick Harper yet but I'm sure I soon will be.

No Celebrity-

It's funny you should mention 30 years, as it's exactly how old I am. I know all about losing touch with the delicious. There's a time for everything in music too. Many are chosen, few ever resurface.

As Roy's work is obviously eclectic (just Flat Baroque is mind-boggling), I'm choosing to explore only certain routes and leave some others for later.

Right now what touches the most is the man with his acoustic guitar alone. "I hate the white man" was obviously recorded live, but I'm not sure about the rest of the album :confused1: It sounds more like a studio record. Is there any album you'd recommend? From the same period (not quite ready for the 38 year jump thru time yet!), with the same raw energy. Stuff that's as magnificiently simple.

Glad to see discussions on guitar chords elsewhere on this site. "How does it feel" made me want to pick up my guitar again. Those deep open chords send me right to heaven. I haven't decided if I'll ever try to play it yet. I wouldn't want my version to interfere with the way this song keeps playing in my mind.

Thanks for the welcome

eldorado

6. Friar Snig

Friar Snig Computer stained fingers

Eldorado, the one you definately must listen to next has to be 'Stormcock', given that you want just man and guitar from the same period.

Tell us what you thought of it when you have.

7. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Sophisticated Beggar, this was the first step for me. Does exactly what it says on the tin, some great songs and guitar work.

8. eldorado

The record shop down the street doesn't know who Roy Harper might be. Not a single album. :33:I'll have to order them online and wait at least two long days. My favorite online shop says two weeks! As if they had to find the master tapes in a dusty closet somewhere in a basement, rip the record, ship it from Alaska on horseback to finally arrive here. I guess to this day he remains a well-kept secret...

9. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Visit royharper.com and order direct from HQ. Given your requirement for simple, direct production, I'd recommend Lifemask, Valentine and Green Man, though be advised that Green Man is the most recent and has divided his fans somewhat. I'd leave his other great classics, Stormcock and HQ, till later but not for long. Re Nick: go for Double Life, his live masterpiece.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  10. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I'm 49 years YOUNG

VALENTINE is about two-thirds acoustic. Another version of "Forever." Prepare for controversy re: the opening tune "Forbidden Fruit." "Che" is all ROY on Guitar except for one line of lyric. "Acapulco Gold" is funny and piano (el d' ORO ado?). "Twelve Hours of Sunset" has some effects. I seem to like this album more than most fans, yet I also seem to prefer more of the music that is more than just Roy and Guitar.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008