1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The next gig I'm going to is...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Dec 11, 2007.

1. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

Of course I went, I like them. They bring a bit of my summer to a cold dark night in Manchester :biggrin:

My next gig will be The Levellers in Manchester on Friday and Ive just had another email off Mike Eccleshall telling me Ive won tickets to see them again in Shrewsbury on Saturday(I think hes getting fed up of giving me tix :biggrin:) anybody would think Im becoming a stalker.

Im not usually lucky with competitions, the only other thing Ive won before is tickets to see Bellowhead at Liverpool and the academy messed up the guest list and wouldnt let me in:confused1:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Hey, lucky you! People will start to think there is something going on between you and Mike! :D

I would say, trust the Academies to mess up, apropos Bellowhead but was it organised by them, or was it a comp thing run by the artist? If the latter, then the door staff can only go by what names they have on the list. It is always handy to take some proof with you and/or a contact number for someone on the night, just in case of problems.

I have only ever had trouble three times - all with the same band! :angry: One of which was an Academy Birmingham show. The girl on the door was really nice, however, and after I stood for ten minutes trying to get a mobile signal in order to call up all the email correspondence that I had had with the band's manager about other things, and try to find the mention of that gig. When I finally did and showed it to her, she looked at it and said she'd accept it as that was how she knew this guy signed off his mails (ie I hadn't faked the mail!). And as SteveT here knows, the other time at Portsmouth, I got the 'if your name's not down you're not coming in' mob on the door, and ended up having to phone a band member's girlfriend several hundred miles away to phone the TM inside to let me in. :biggrin: All fun and games.

I am feeling end of year gig fatigue now. Would have liked to see John Smith tonight, but may leave that and just head straight for Pretty Green and Exit Calm Friday.

3. HarperPR

Exit Calm tonight at the Pretty Green launch at The Garage, woo yay! :m9: Very VERY excited. I am sure that a lot of people are thinking that Liam may just decide to do a little unannounced set with Beady Eye, considering how rapidly the tickets sold out for this - and with Tom from Kasabian in town to do a Pretty Green instore this afternoon, who knows what could happen....I don't...all know is it is going to be a late one, and I just hope by the time I head home in the early hours there are not several inches of snow already on the ground! :angry:

4. HarperPR

Another fine, if brief - 32 mins - set from Exit Calm at the Pretty Green launch last night, but it was really a club night so I suppose that was why.

Tom Meighan from Kasabian pitched up as expected. Andy Bell (Oasis/Beady Eye) played the two Beady tracks in his DJ set, and both he and Liam watched Exit's set.

Liam was mobbed by fans when he arrived inside, but he seemed very gracious and posed for pix with fans. He even smiled! I was within touching distance too - but I resisted!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  5. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Don't you mean punching distance! :biggrin:

6. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Scott Matthews tomorrow night in his home town of Wolverhampton ... just wonder if "Robert" will turn up ( as he sang on his CD last year ) ?!?!

7. HarperPR

He was cool. Actually felt a bit sorry for him. He did spend most of the time in the backstage bar after that, except for viewing Exit.

8. HarperPR

Gav (producer) put the two of them together as he has also worked with Mr Plant before. Added a nice touch to the album, I thought.

9. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Linn!

My boss's son has been ripped off on a dodgy website advertising Madness gig tomorrow in Reading. They've taken £85 off her for false tickets and she's pulling her hair out! What can she do?

Andi

10. HarperPR

I am a writer, not a consumer lawyer, Andi! But never EVER buy from dodgy sites. Check out first. I take it this money was charged to a debit/credit card, so the bank and lender would be first port of call.

11. aspwatterson

Tks..

Thanks and will pass on... just thought you might know someone mad whom you could plead with as a personal...never mind..it wasn't a ploy to get your phone number honest!

andi

12. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

13. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Richard Thompson for me at the weekend. Yippee.

14. bigchris

Saw RT last Monday at the new Waterside theatre in Aylesbury ... I bought the tickets ages ago ( before the theatre was actually built ! ) and had forgotten where I'd booked my seat - bang in the middle of the front row !! I've seen RT loads of times before, but never that close ... and was just blown away ... superb stuff !!

15. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

I wasn't very quick off the mark getting my tickets so am near the back but it's not a big place (Warwick Arts Centre) so I don't think it'll be a problem.

On Wednesday I'm seeing Steve Knightly (a first for me) and as a treat to get over the dreadful football I've just witnessed tonight, I have booked tickets to see the lovely Emily Smith in a couple of weeks' time.

I shall need a sit down after all that lot

16. HarperPR

It's Chapel Club all the way for me - twice this coming Sunday in Brum, and then again in Heaven next week (the London one, not the one upstairs!).

And if you are awake tonight, catch them on C4 at 12.55am doing a few acoustic songs from Shoreditch church. Bless em. And...you can also catch them in my upcoming bit-of-a-marathon interview! Okay, I am obsessed I know - just be thankful you don't follow me on Twitter, haha

But I am having some breaks to see Brother, Frankie & the Heartstrings, Jamie Woon and Tripwires over the next 2 weeks.

17. aspwatterson

Did u?

Did u sort your Brum Transport out coz I was a'tinking?

AQ

18. bigchris

Mogwai

Well the next gig I was supposed to be going to was Mogwai tonight in Oxford .... I only got "into" Mogwai last year and bought a couple of their old CD's and thought they were really good .... but yesterday I received their new CD ( which they are bound to be playing tonight ) and think it's pretty crap !! So now I'm thinking can I be ar**d to go to Oxford tonight ?!

19. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Did you go in the end, Chris?

Oh and after la Tunstall last night, I think I have a empty gig diary until the Charlatans acoustic show in Glasgow late next month... unless I go see Glasvegas in Edinburgh next week but financially that's maybe not the best idea!

20. bigchris

Nope ... I gave the CD one more listen ... with the voume at max ( to see if that would stir something up for me ) ... but alas it did not !!