1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the verse that time forgot

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by alsithi, Oct 19, 2008.

1. alsithi

alsithi I've got a zappy little nappy

Hi

Can anyone tell me what tuning this song is in please?

2. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

From memory, I'm sure there is a full tab on rooben.com. The link across there used to be on harperspace.com

Sorry I can't be more help.

3. alsithi

alsithi I've got a zappy little nappy

nice one!! cheers

4. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

Carp! I have a new guitar arriving tomorrow and Rooben.com has gone missing.

Any leads?

5. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Hmmmnn! Didn't know that! I *may* have the tab for verse/time on my HDD in my other compy - or rather Sarah's compy that I fitted my old HDD in after I got my laptop. I'll have a look at some point, although you'll have to remind me!

6. Rainbow

Rainbow I've got a zappy little nappy

For alsithi & Uriel: A D A D Fsharp A (Low to high strings) is the open tuning used on the Rooben transcription as I recall. I can't write it all out right now, but the following fingerings in roughly the right order may get you started:

II--4 II--4 II--0 II--0 II--2 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--2 II--0 II--0 II--0
    II--7 II--5 II--3 II--2 II--0 II--0 II--2 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--2 II--0
    II--4 II--4 II--4 II--4 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0
    II--4 II--4 II--4 II--4 II--5 II--5 II--5 II--5 II--2 II--2 II--2 II--2
    II--4 II--4 II--4 II--4 II--4 II--4 II--4 II--4 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0
    II--4 II--4 II--0 II--0 II--5 II--5 II--0 II--0 II--2 II--2 II--2 II--2

That's the first part ... sorry got to take a break ... finger's gone dead (one finger typing)!! Get back later for remainder :)

* In notation above: II represents the nut of guitar and numbers shown are fret numbers ;-)

Catch up with the rest later in the day ...

Cheers ... Rainbow:)

7. Rainbow

OK ... the remainder:

II--7 II--7 II--9 II--7 II--7 II--2 II--4 II--2
    II--7 II--7 II--8 II--7 II--7 II--2 II--3 II--2
    II--7 II--7 II--7 II--7 II--7 II--2 II--2 II--2
    II--7 II--7 II--0 II--7 II--7 II--2 II--2 II--2
    II--7 II--2
    II--0 II--0

II--0 II--2 II--4 II--5 II--4 II--2 II--0 II--4/7 II--7
    II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0/7 II--7
    II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0/7 II--7
    II--0 II--2 II--4 II--5 II--4 II--2 II--0 II--4/7 II--7
    II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0 II--0/7 II--7
    II--2 II--4 II--5 II--4 II--2 II--0 II--4 0 II--0

II--7 II--7 II--9 II--(11) II--9 II--7 II--9 II--7
    II--7 II--7 II--8 II--(10) II--8 II--7 II--8 II--7
    II--7 II--(7) II--(7) II-- (9) II--7 II--7 II--(7) II--(7)
    II--7 II--(7) II--(7) II-- (9) II--7 II--7 II--(7) II--(7)
    II--7
    II--0

II--7 II--7 II--(7) II--7 II--7 II--7 7 II--7
    II--7 II--8 II--(10) II--8 II--7 II--7 8 8 II--7
    II--7 II--(9) II--(9) II--9 II--7 II--7 7 7 II--7 FIN :)
    II--7 II--(7) II--(9) II--7 II--7 II--7 II--7
    II--7 II--7 --7 II--7
    II--0 II--0 II--7

* Please note there is no attempt at showing correct measures ... just chord/shapes and odd notes in between ... you'll need to listen to and play along with the track :wink:

Hope it's of some help though ...

8. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

I have a print out of Roobens tab at home I will scan it and post it up. I just came across it the other day having forgotten I had it. Only problem was it was unusable as it didn't say what the tuning was, so your post has really helped thanks for that.

I also remember rooben giving details of Nick's string gauges and that the lowest string is actually from a piano string :cool: sadly with his site gone I've no idea what the gauges were and that info maybe crucial to not have overstressed strings or conversely flapping about strings.

9. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

10. fuzzytnth3

11. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Considering I'll be in Boston that night, it could be a weeeeeee bit difficult :wink: But I'm working on it! And writing a thank you! *smooches*

12. fuzzytnth3

Finally got round to doing this yea

here's a link to a PDF file

You can reverse engineer how to tune your guitar by looking at the mostly open chord in the seventh bar and sussing out the actual notes from the music above. I will try to do it tonight and post it up.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  13. fuzzytnth3

Dooh that's a shame, have a good time in the US of A.

14. fuzzytnth3

Ok got round to posting up about the tuning. After much head scratching cos it's been awhile since I have read music notation you tune the guitar as follows

A D A D F# A

To achieve that tuning I suspect it would be worthwhile purchasing a new set of strings to cope with how low it goes.

To save time and to avoid buying a new set of strings I tweaked it up to a D from the A for the lowest string. While it doesn't give me the deep resonating internal body organ vibrations it did mean it was a fairly simple tweak to how my guitar was currently tuned to DADGAD to become

DGDGBD

Any road up I am now a very happy camper while I can't play it all yet I think it is doable although there are a couple tricky slid chords which you have to get the rhythm right for and just towards the end there is a tricky finger picking bit but with lots of practice I should get there although I may drive The Boss (her indoors) daft by playing the same song again and again over the forthcoming weeks :)

15. fuzzytnth3

If you want to stick to Nick's tuning then buy the following strings

'E' First string buy a 'G' to get an 'A'
    'B' Second string buy a 'G' to get a 'F sharp'
    'G' Third string buy a 'D' to get a 'D'
    'D' Fourth string buy a 'A' or maybe a 'D' to get an 'B'
    'A' Fifth string buy a 'A' to get a 'D'
    'E' Sixth string buy a bass guitar string to get a internal organ vibrating 'B' :confused1:

16. Rainbow

Interesting tips on strings and the DGDGBD sounds like a promising optional tuning to get close to this one without risking doing damage to the electro-acoustic! Thanks 'fuzzy' ... will try this one again in that optional tuning when I have completed 'Miles Remains' ... still stuck on that one chord ... can't quite get it yet :(

17. fuzzytnth3

Re the tuning nae probs I've been wanting to get my head round this for ages and finally feel like I am making progress. I was hoping Nick would play it last night in Glasgow so I could keep pick up a few tips / pointers but it wasn't to be.

As for Miles Remains I've just read the other thread and shall have a bash at that tonight

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  18. Rainbow

Great ... I've worked on Miles for a couple of hours today and I've got a version that's close now ... but this is my first time at transcribing stuff so I'm sure welcoming any feedback ;)
    I'll post the latest version tomorrow if I can get it organised.

19. fuzzytnth3

I just bought a book called (Reach for) Guitar on Tap and it lists the tuning I've described above as Open G Tuning but also known as "Spanish" tuning or "Keef" tuning (after Keith Richards).

Funnily enough the book doesn't mention Nick's tuning A D A D F# A but under the DADGAD tuning section it does mention Richard Thompson and our very own Nick as having used it on many of their recordings.

20. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

BTW this ain't me!

[youtube]RFQzvsmSb_4[/youtube]

c/a