1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There is no out. There is only in.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dr_Doom_The_Optimist, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

I wonder if this will inspire a 68-year old RH to write 'Caviezel's Blues' ?

I must say I wasn't expecting much from this, and although it's clearly been moulded for a modern American audience, it still looks interesting. Obviously, it won't be a patch on the original, but still worth a watch I suspect.

[youtube]3FqQsaK5KpQ[/youtube]

Be seeing you,
    +A

2. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Passion of the McGoohan. No. 666!

Jesus Christ!

Now we know where Mel Gibson's actors are sent after they star in one of his movies.

If it's on AMC, it probably has been given a fairly free rein. (American Movie Classics) has produced MAD MEN the critically-acclaimed EMMY winner about the early Advertising Industry on MADison Ave., NYC.

Does Christ escape with Gandalf in the end, or does it live forever in syndication (of Biblical proportions).

That's all the free-association I can come up with for now. I heard about the possibility months ago, but have seen no promos (will finish watching this promo later).

Thanks, Doctor.

3. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

[youtube]ycdZpjq4ykw[/youtube]

4. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I am a bit nervous about this and expect it to be quite bad... but I'll be watching anyway. If nothing else it may sharpen my respect for the original and inspire me to watch it again... it's been a while.

5. NoCelebrity

15 December 09 on AMC

Finally saw a commercial (twice) promoting the "3-night event" on AMC yesterday. 7pm airing Central Time.

I won't expect this to be a re-telling or an update, but what might happen if the program continues 40 years later. Surely, there would be changes if only by necessity to maintain the system of "de-briefing" rogue ex-spies. New techniques, new angles. Bigger and better BALLOONS!

"The names may be changed... Only the numbers remain the same..."

That said, I'm curious if Ian McKellan is the SAME number two as LEO McKERN!

pd and I will pray (in an irreligious sort of way!) this is worth the wait!

If the message of freedom and an indomitable spirit (against the political machines) are maintained, I will consider it as some kind of success... I do not expect No. 6 to be the same agent, but I will DEMAND the "spirit" of Patrick McGoohan (Secret Agent Man or "Danger Man" depending on the version!).

6. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

I'm very nervous about this remake being rubbish... but I will reserve judgement, especially as I lurve Ian McKellen. Remember watching repeats of the original with my grandfather - I think he fell asleep :wink: but I was on the edge of my seat.

Why aren't we getting this until early 2010 (allegedly) when it was partly funded by ITV :thumbdown:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  7. NoCelebrity

US are first?

Maybe we in the US are the "test Market for British rubbish?":wink:

I wonder what kind of "three night event" we're getting here. The original was 17 one-hour eps. Are they testing to see the response and desire for more eps? Or the tolerance for a seven-year story arc (Nooooooo!....)? Or is 3-eps the limit?

Or perhaps they're worried about the English-to-American translations!:D

8. NoCelebrity

Question with no answer?

What do the complete "The Matrix" and "Mad Max" Trilogies have in common with "The Prisoner?"

AMC is playing them this Friday and Saturday AND cross-promoting them with the new "The Prisoner" (on Sunday) in a strange twist. (Inter-cutting various scenes from each in a longer commercial).

It seems like the American Movie Channel promotion of the re-make went from stealth promotion to near saturation in the last week or so.

Look here Monday a.m. London time for my knee-jerk review!:D

I still don't know if this "three-night event" is the whole thing or just a tease, or whether it's three-nights in a row or spaced out over three weekends with lots of "catch-me-up" repeats...

I'm guessing Patrick McG would approve of the acting and filmmaking, but we're all worried about the story/writing/art/message being changed or diluted.

Fingers crossed...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  9. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I shall be obtaining the broadcasts in the UK via my secret Village TV system this weekend and will be reporting back in due course...

10. NoCelebrity

Thumbs UP/Thumbs DOWN?

Two reviews for the price of one!

11. NoCelebrity

AMC's "The Prisoner" schedule

TV listings show a two-hour episode (or 2 one-hour episodes) premiering Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, with repeats that night and next day (through Wednesday). First runs at 7pm CT (8pm ET) each night.

1. ARRIVAL/HARMONY. "A man awakes in an isolated town called The Village."
    2. ANVIL/DARLING. "Six becomes a spy for Two. 313 is fearful of her gift."
    3. SCHIZOID/CHECKMATE. (no description)

I remember episodes I thought were called "Arrival," "Living in Harmony" (The western town--mind control experiment--but I think the title is actually different). Possibly "Hammer to Anvil," and "Schizoid Man." "Checkmate" sounds familiar too.

I hope this is a sign of something good...