1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tickets - buying, touts & agencies

Discussion in 'Anecdotes' started by HarperPR, Oct 22, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

In light of the new Paperticket debacle - hope no one here has paid money to them recently? - where does everyone usually purchase theirs?

I would never, EVER buy tickets for a gig... :D...er, I mean from a tout, agent or other, of course! I object to the hefty mark-up and the precarious nature of some of these places. Where possible, I always recommend buying in person at the venue box office and use a credit card.

What do others think? With these Paperticket lot, many people have lost out for the upcoming Killers and KOL shows.

2. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Ticketmaster, what a rip off! And useless!

3. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

erm,,,, i tend to use ticketmaster :blushing: although i agree that the 'handling fee' is a right pi$$take. pretty reliable, in my experience, though...

would never buy from a tout on ebay, or whatever, though... parasites!

4. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

My experiences of Tickedisaster have all been for football matches. Many of the problems appear to stem from the fact that it depends which operator you talk to, what service you get. When buying tickets for the same event, different people get different information on eligibility, choosing seats, paying handling fees etc.

5. wobbly bob

ticketdisaster... lol

i rarely go to the footy, and then not to matches that sell out, anyway. i only use em for gigs, mainly gigs that are likely to sell out, as it goes. and i always do it online-never by phone. don't think it occurred to me you could do it over the phone...:blushing:
    and doing it online means i don't have to speak to anyone!

6. wobbly bob

gonna say-i bet you get em all free!:biggrin:

i did miss out on the killers, but only cos they sold out in like 15 minutes...! would've liked to see ac/dc one more time, but they sold out in 15 mins or something.... mind you, they weren't doing sheffield this time, so might not have bothered anyway..

ticketmaster, as it happens. don't many artist sites..etc.. direct you to an agency, anyway? i think i got it into my head that that's how you buy tickets these days.... duh!

7. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

My Yank friends and I always called 'em Ticketbastard :wink:

But I would warn any of you away from See Tickets - when they were Way Ahead, they seemed a helluva lot more reliable, but I have had really bad experiences with them delivering too close to gigs for comfort, and other friends never got tickets in time - between that and them taking the piss with their charges, they just aren't worth it and I avoid them now if at all possible :banghead:

8. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Well I must be lucky then ... because I've bought many tickets from eBay ... and have only once paid over the ticket price ( but I knew that before bidding ) and every ticket has arrived in time and were legit !!

9. wobbly bob

well, yeah-if you can get them at the ticket price, then fair play to you mate! i would if i could!

it's just that the ones i've looked at have always been well over!
    what i do to entertain myself sometimes, is when a tour's sold out, i go onto ebay to see how long the tickets take to appear on there (i know-i need to get out more!), and then send abusive emails to the scum who are selling for double, within an hour of buying them!

it's just one of the things that gets to me... people buying tickets at the agreed price, with the sole intention of selling them to a real fan for 50%, 100%, or even higher mark up!:cuss:

10. wobbly bob

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

11. dim

dim I've got a zappy little nappy

never touch seetickets with a bargepole... three bad experiences (in three orders) and never again.. - trouble is they are now using about 6 different pseudonyms... and they are a bunch of ****es.. take you money in february, charge you a ridiculous booking fee, and then charge you about another £3 postage and send it out six months later with a second class stamp.. :/ and then you dont receive the ticket...

generally direct from venue.. if its exeter then exetertickets cos its council run and only charg 50p booking and postage....

or just sneak in in jays bag.. :D

have used ebay, but not from touts,..its not difficult to spot a genuine seller who cant make a gig for one reason or another and is just trying to recoup there ticket costs...

12. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

In the days when I used live/work inside the M25 and wanted to see a gig run by the Mean Fiddler Org ( usually for the Fleadth - how I so miss that festival !! ) ... I used to love the idea that you could go to one of their ticket offices and buy tickets for cash with no booking fee ... made a big difference if you were buying lots of tickets !!

Though saying that ... even they had a strange concept of admin fees ... if you went to their ticket offices and wanted to pay by cheque, then they would charge you 50p ... which you could understand ( just about ) as they do require some administration to process them ... BUT their wierd thing was that they used to charge you 50p a ticket !! So if you bought one ticket with one cheque then that would be 50p. If you bought ten tickets with ONE cheque, then that would coust you 10 x 50p ... which was odd, because it wouldn't take any more admin to process one cheque for 50p as it would for one cheque for £5 ?!?