1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To stand up or not?

Discussion in 'General' started by aspwatterson, May 17, 2013.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Reading recently about Jonathan Wilson experimenting with his vocals emulating Roy and Nick's expansive ranges, reminds me of the times I should have practised this years ago, especially having been in a choir for many aeons as a boy singing like a girl! The higher the soprano the more feminine it sounds! But gives a lovely soft emotional side especially the way the face contorts in seeming agony.

Now I have been invited to do a little set at Basingstoke Live festy in a busking tent I'm pondering whether to stand up or not? Standing up definitely gives more impact to the audience I think. I've always sat down,especially as I don't sing so much these days and just do instrumentals; but watching Nick and the direct way he communicates with the audience it does work it's magic more standing up I think.

Roy always sits down these days when playing [but will stand to introduce songs/things/people], even when playing along with Nick, Jimi etc. and I always thought he looked a bit strange when standing at Glasto with Trigger etc. It looked weird to see Jimi and Nick sitting down actually at Festival Hall as though they were paying homage to their master. BTW I'm sure Roy gave Jimi a kiss as he was leaving the stage ah!

To play standing up needs practising as it is slightly different to the player as well. The fretboard is more blind to the player and if you're playing an unpractised piece it's harder to squint at where you are. But you have the flexibility of your body, the strap etc to move around the stage so you can keep an eye on which fret you should be on and where you're meant to be going next.

Would be interested to know other people's views on this, not necessarily just the guitarists but the spectator's experience as well.

Cheers for noodles*
    Andy

*Noodling is playing a bunch of onorganized, senseless notes. When playing a highly technical solo part, all the greats improvise to a degree. There is a thin line between amazing and stupid, and I believe it's totally objective. You could say that Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmstein, and the like have made careers out of noodling, but that would take credibility away from the years they have spent mastering their instruments. My advice? Decide for yourself what is noodling and what isn't.

2. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Stand unless you feel more comfortable sitting, in which case sit, unless you want to stand. I think you will work it out.

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Ha!

Ha! Thanks for the wisdom! :biggrin:

Height of stage in relation to audience is a big factor also. No stage = standing!

Andy