1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tour/Album reviews 2009

Discussion in 'Press and Media' started by HarperPR, Oct 31, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

This may be early, but nothing like pre-planning and to get you all thinking!

With 2009 being a MASSIVE year for Nick with both the Spring Tour and a new album, it is vital to get in live gig reviews and album reviews.

This is where YOU can help. If Nick is playing in your area, could you get your local paper interested in doing a preview piece or live review? You could even offer to pitch something yourself.

If Critch can be drawn away from his yacht - ! - he could perhaps post here with his experience of how he went about writing an article for his paper when Nick played in St Helens, and any advice on how he went about selling the idea to them and copy length and style.

If you already write for a publication or online site and are interested, please email me:
    pr@sayitnowpr.co.uk

I already have a number of online zines on my list who are geared up for the album, so it's looking good so far.

Don't forget you can also spread the Harpic name around other forums including local community ones in the catchment areas Nick will have a gig in (some have already started to appear!) and of course MSpace, Facebook et al.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. HarperPR

A reminder!:)

3. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Hi :seeya: Yes!

It was quite simple really. I knew the style of the paper 'cause I've been reading it longer than I can remember so I simply looked at the sort of section size that they used on a regular basis for that sort of article and wrote to match. I did two - a preview - which is more useful for drawing people in and a review. I included a photo (which handily I had one in St Helens so that was nice and topical) and simply e-mailed it in to the Entertainments section of the paper. I also dropped in a couple of times just to remind the people there that I existed. Timing is a little critical. They need enough time to get it into print the week before he plays, but not to advanced because they'll simply put it to one side and it'd get forgotten about.

I didn't ask in advance - if I only had one paper to offer it up to I might have done, but I figured one would probably take it so it wouldn't be a complete waste of time.

4. HarperPR

And there you have it from the Crichster himself! Simple!

Timing is crucial. Pitch a preview 3 - 4 weeks before gig date. Follow the house style, as Critch pointed out, and put at end the venue, address, show time, website/box office number and ticket price.

If anyone does manage to get anything, let me know as I can add a little *extra* something for them and for you.

5. HarperPR

A reminder!

As we're almost into 2009 and the start of the gigging season!

6. Mistlethrush

Mistlethrush I've got a zappy little nappy

De Barra's or not De Barra's...........

...........That is the question!! sorry Bill

With the announcement that Roy's having a rest (deservedly), does this mean there's no De Barra's this coming year?

7. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I would be very surprised if there's any Roy gigging at all in 2009 actually. From what he's said, he wants to get a new record out first and I think there is a lot of work to do on that side ... on the interview (check out the older podcasts) he did discuss a "farewell tour" at some point in the future but seemed very clear that this would be after a new release.

8. Mistlethrush

Mistlethrush I've got a zappy little nappy

Oh well.............

Cheers matey...........

9. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Any "farewell tour" has got to include the "blues" in Chicago!

10. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Perhaps in "Blue Chicago" .... Fond memories of a couple of visits ... But I suspect he's more likely to stick to the usual London, Glasgow, Manchester, Bristol type tour, from what he said in the interview (those are all the UK instances, rather than (eg) London Ontario, Manchester NH etc)

Bob

11. HarperPR

To bring this thread back to its original point...!:closedeyes:

12. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Is there a projected release date for the album? Let's get some tracks on Radio Paradise & annoy the hell out of those redneck Lynyrd Skynyrd lovers.
    :biggrin:

mischief ahoy!

13. HarperPR

We'll look at that later.:)

In the mean...can everyone keep a look-out for previews, features et al and put a link up in case I miss. There are definitely a fair few projected!

14. HarperPR

All 'The 38 Tour' dates are up at LastFM. With two down, reviews can now be added. Same applies as we go along the line. Not just at LastFM but any and all other online sites where reviews can be put up.

For the best 2 that come through this tour, I will put up on Ents24 and the lucky reviewers will receive a prize.

http://www.last.fm/music/Nick+Harper

15. HarperPR

I hope that some of you worthy scribes will be putting pen to paper (or at least, finger to keyboard:biggrin:) and writing up your Harpic gig experience?

Don't forget, this all helps get Nick's name out and about and encouraging those who haven't seen him live to do so in the future.

16. HarperPR

See previous post(s)!

Is there anyone with a short, worthy review of any gig on this present tour, or who can do one for one of the remaining dates which I can then put up on a site somewhere near you! An image or two to accompany is good, if possible.

Please PM me.

Cheers.