1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unhinged

Discussion in 'General' started by SHAUN I, Jan 31, 2008.

1. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

It was a good day for me today, the postman delivered my Nick tickets for St.Helens Citadel on the 10th and I was reunited with an old friend, a copy of Unhinged imported from America. My last copy unfortunately broke in unforseen circumstances..my 6yr old son and his mates were using it as a frisbee up the street :^) boys will be boys. Anyway when played on my windows media player track no2 Legend, has the contributing artist listed as Roy Harper and the composer as a Mr.Raymond Harper are there any Harper swots that know of any other major hiccups on any unofficially released albums..btw this is a cd on Griffin Music - look forward to hearing some clangers from anyone!

Regards Shaun..

2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Sorry, couldn't resist! I can't believe the frisbee comment though. I hope you will get them to pay back in pocket money...

3. SHAUN I

Yeah I've forgiven him now, the tooth fairy visited him last week and left him £2 (thats inflation for you) maybe I should have intercepted that eh..just kidding! :D I suppose I've done a lot worse in my time though. We used to make ashtrays out of crappy LP's my parents had, btw paul how unofficial is this cd it has all the sleeve notes and history of the songs by Roy etc.

Hmm curious..

Everythings just everything because everything - just is!

4. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

5. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I have two versions of Unhinged in my collection.

Griffin GCDHR-132-2. This was made for the US market and has a "Made in Canada" sticker on it. The cover is green. Part of the inside text says "We thought that a live CD would be the best kind of re-introduction to Canada and the United States after such a lengthy absence" and "I'm in the process of creating a new life for myself. I very much hope that that can be in North America".

It contains contact info for Crisp Productions as representation and also for Hors D'Oeuvres magazine. Whatever you're seeing on Windows Media Player is the fault of the person that entered track details into a database somewhere....

HUCD020. This is "Roy's own" release and has a purple/maroon cover. The inside has similar text but different photos and also a link to the old stormcock site that used to live at bilpin.co.uk.

I always liked "Unhinged" as Roy's take on the then-popular "Unplugged" sessions that MTV made.

6. SHAUN I

I tried this opton first Barry but unfortunately RH.com were out of stock so I had to go to plan B i.e. Amazon, apparantly this version has a couple of tracks missing than that of the U.K. version.

When I say unofficial I mean not released by Roys own label, it doesn't have that accurate polished feel about it, if you know what I mean..still all this aside what a cracking set of live songs especially poignant as I was at the Bloomsbury gigs in 1990.

Regards

Everythings just everything because everything - just is!

7. Barry

I think there are some vines of the bloomsbury gigs doing the rounds.

8. SHAUN I

I'm not that clued up on getting hold of this stuff barry I have asked about the dimeadozen site etc. before but have not had much luck so far - maybe I'm doing something wrong, perhaps you could send me instructions :confused1:

9. Barry

I don't know much about the dimeadozen thing but vines are regulary passed around on the old stormcock mailing list, I'm sure Paul will get you on that if you want. It works by way of someone offers the vine, first to respond gets it sent to them, they make a copy then offer it back to the list and so on. Obviously this is for non officially released material and no money ever changes hands, it's just a sharing thing. Hope this helps.

10. SHAUN I

Thanks Barry I'll ask pd what the score is on that, and check out what sort of quality these live sets are like.

Regards

11. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I have often thought that 'Unhinged' was one of Harpers best live recordings. If only it contained the amazing 'Short and Sweet' that was on the original BIC cassette, (thanks for getting that up on the podcast by the way). Is the Science Friction version now unavailable then? (I think I have both :confused1:)

12. SHAUN I

I think it's still part of Roy's catalogue, unfortunately it is out of stock at the moment, have just ordered the BBC set and Festival Hall cd's so am really looking forward to them, I hope they are as good as Unhinged..I've seen clips on youtube etc of Me And My Woman at Festival Hall which are good!