1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updated: Happy 70th Birthday Roy! 12 June 2011

Discussion in 'General' started by NoCelebrity, Jun 11, 2011.

1. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I'm sorry if someone else already started a similar thread, and, I'm sorry I don't get back to these forums more often than I used to... BUT...

Isn't today Roy's ACTUAL 70th Birthday Anniversary?

So, Happy Birthday from across the pond to my favorite Singer Poet Philosopher Songwriter, Roy Harper!

Here in Chicago we are celebrating Roy's Birthday with the opening yesterday of the "World's Largest Free Blues Festival" where they are also honoring Robert Johnson (approximately 120 years after his birth, I believe).

In the finest media tradition, we'll probably get around to celebrating Roy's contribution to the Blues on his 120th Birthday. Sigh... At least Roy will be in great company!

Love you, Roy. Best wishes to all!

2. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

It's actually tomorrow..(12th June)

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

No Celeb?

Have you ordered his DVD 'Legends' yet from Metropolis Studio gig recently? It will be on telly eventually....well over here anyway...

Andi

4. NoCelebrity

Not usually premature... (he claimed)

Well, at least I wasn't late this time. I knew his Sun was nearly Trine with mine, astrologically speaking!

I guess TODAY is my brother's wedding anniversary then!:blushing:

5. Johnbarkeriom

Johnbarkeriom Computer stained fingers

Astrology on a Harper forum.... that's even more nonsense than christianity and the rest ;)

6. NoCelebrity

D-V-Deviant Behavior

I posted "not yet" elsewhere already. I forgot it was coming out quickly, and expect to order it soon. I'm definitely looking forward to it and seeing some of you and maybe Roy's 'other' friends.

BTW, the third "Crossroads" just aired for the first time this week on PBS. A lot of repetition from the first two, but Bill Murray did introduce "Chicago's very own Eric Clapton!" And Eric loved it!

7. NoCelebrity

A boy named Sun Hsu!

I'll bet you were I Ching to say that!

8. Johnbarkeriom

Excellent!

9. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Hiya NoCeleb! :biggrin: Updated the date in the title so there's less confusion - but I shall say HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROY now while I remember! :thumbup1:

10. NoCelebrity

A Septuagenarian (positively spell-checked) Peace

Thank you, SPB and acting "Fearless Leader/Mediator."

Now, all we have to do is get the rest of the world on board for the celebration!

To be honest, I'm frustrated and keep wondering what to do (i.e. which music critics to hold hostage :wink:) to get Roy's Music before more ears and eyes in America.

I guess the whole "Lady Gaga" thing is too much for Roy, right! But I'd love to see him invited to Lollapalooza (this month in Chicago) at the last minute (where Lady G was "discovered") and paid tribute by all the headliners. At least some of them OUGHT to love Roy's music!

And I'm going to go on dreaming just as hard and long and fast as I can (whatever that means).

11. Sandie

Sandie Computer stained fingers

Happy 70th Birthday Roy!!!

LOL!!!! I almost became a professional astrologer in the early 1980s, and was secretary to the Council of the Astrological Association for a number of years in the early 1970s!!! All I can say to you is that I've studied the subject, and you have not, therefore you've not got a leg to stand on!!!

12. Johnbarkeriom

That may be but I have studies the science of astronomy and therefore I can quite rightly say that you have no leg to stand on! I always loved Patrick Moore's take on astrology. Obviously he never liked anyone asking what his "star sign" was but used to play along and tell them a random one and everytime the person would say " as that's so right for you" etc etc:D

13. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

The last lecture..

The last lecture I attended from PM; concluded that astrology is bunkum scientifically; on a gravitational [? Einstein may call it another name] scale... but my mind still sits on the fence; as we are still sending out spaceships to detect unknown antimatter; which we know is there, and maybe other miniscular stuff we ain't found yet? I still worry about some of the experiments we conduct these days. If they can't control a Japanese nuclear power station what hope is there?

The final words of PM was that astro-statistically, there must be other forms of life out there : without a shadow of doubt. So we are not so unique as we think we are maybe?

Andi

14. Johnbarkeriom

I have never thought of us as unique - hopefully there's lots of life out there. The universe would be an even more interesting place if there is:biggrin:

15. Poor Man

Poor Man I've got a zappy little nappy

"Youth is a country of the mind, and one which you need never leave!" (Francis Warner). Happy 70th Roy! Thought there would have been a real 'party feel' on the Stormcock threads today, but I'm raising a glass anyway, and it's a symbolic date finally to have registered on this forum!

16. NoCelebrity

Welcome, Poor Man (is that PM for short? I'm just a cheeky American.)

Thanks for bringing this thread back to its roots!

Due to circumstances beyond our control the Forum is strictly BYOB, but we all like to party to Roy and Nick's Music!

17. Sandie

LOL!!! I don't need a leg to stand on, the ground beneath me is very solid, and as the saying goes "I have studied the subject, and you have not, therefore you are not in a position to argue for or against astrology".

Having said that, I will add that without astronomy there would be no astrology, so your world view isn't totally wasted on me!!! LMAO!!!!

No astrologer worth their salt is concerned about sun sign astrology (the "star signs" to which you refer). Are you aware that several centuries ago all medical doctors had to study the science of astrology. It's a very powerful tool, but sadly it's been popularised in such a ridiculous manner that the watered down astrology for the masses is like everything for the masses, shallow and lacking substance!!!!

18. Sandie

I don't know who PM is, but I do wonder how anyone can argue against it on a gravitational level - what about tides being affected by the lunation cycle? Does that have anything to do with gravity?

I do wonder what living beings from other planets would be lie.

19. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Patrick Moore?

20. Johnbarkeriom

F = GMm/r2 (that's distance square on the bottom, can't do it properly on this font)
    Therefore if something is say twice as far way the gravitational force is 4 times less, 20 times further and it's 400 times less.... the effect of gravity at planetary distances in negligible.

Anyway that's enough of that, as has been said we are supposed to be celebrating Roy's birthday on here. I will happily continue to dismantle astrology in private if you wish ;) Let the music play:biggrin: