1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you all think...

Discussion in 'General' started by HarperPR, Mar 24, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

...about the idea of having a Harper Convention/Gathering?

Just a free floating idea, so feedback/interest welcomed.

2. Linda

Linda Computer stained fingers

A Harper Happening

Ha!- yes - We've had 'gatherings' at Clon done by Roy and although I've never been able to get there i understand they went down a storm. In the past we've managed organised get togethers for members of the old Stormcock site. Specifically the great night before Roy's Royal Festival Hall gig in 2001 when Splinters 1 was recorded.That was an amazing evening of music and fun from talented but largely unsung (then) Harper fans. Loads of people turned up and it was also open to friends of members but policed by ticket. The party was held in Covent Garden. We had members from all over the world - Australia, Germany, South Africa, USA etc - they all flew in for this great party (well actually they came for Roy's 60th birthday gig but ........).
    For Londoners we've had smaller meetings 'off 'cock' as it were and I've enjoyed them enormously. Last summer when Sam came over from Oz to stay with me, we all met up in The Lamb. I have the pics!!!
    Up for another and willing to help put something together.........great idea Linn: thumbup1:
    Linda

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  3. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I'd love to... but I probably wont be there! :D

4. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Sounds like a great idea Linn I'd be up for that! :thumbup1:

5. KarinB

KarinB Guest

Good idea but I doubt I'd go either.

6. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

You're assuming here that i think... Lol.

I'd be up for that i'm sure. Course it depends when and where it is.

7. Craig_Powers

Craig_Powers I've got a zappy little nappy

sounds good

Sounds a good idea Linn. Count me in.

Craig

8. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Let's get some more feedback...
    Remember, this is only at this stage a LITTLE idea I am thinking BIG on.:biggrin: And it is ONLY an idea (but maybe one of my better ones ? Haha!).

And not until next year - maybe around Spring album launch?

Maybe London or Brum (sort of centre of country)?

Maybe have stands (not for hot dogs, but music related stuff)? A few guest speakers/artists?

9. dim

dim I've got a zappy little nappy

do we have to dress up as nick harpers, and be really geeky, and make strange signs with our fingers...

all sounds a little erm, freeky :blushing:

maybe im getting the word convention confused with star treck fans....

10. Sadfish

Sadfish I've got a zappy little nappy

[​IMG]

Haltwhistle is the centre of britain, in the north east :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  11. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

well done for editing that at 10.39 today.
    It's now 8.49.

:biggrin:

I'm interested inn this convention thing by the way. Sounds good. Haltwhistle should be do-able.

12. Sadfish

says " Last edited by Sadfish : Today at 08:39 AM." for me.

Anyhow, like pete c says haltwhistle good for us! :)

13. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

For the past few years Roy's Clonakilty event has been the nearest thing to a Harper convention for me, since Tracy started organising the "Gathering" social event on one of the off-days. Of course that doesn't particularly cater for the Nick-only fans, except for the year he was there too. Now that Clon isn't happening, there is a bit of a hole there.

Anyway, as Linda points out, we've had several very successful events in the past ranging from simple pub meets to the larger event that was organised around Roy's 60th gig at the RFH. It would be very nice to do something similar again. I've always been very pleased to meet others from the mailing list/web site/etc, as I generally find people of like mind and kind heart.

14. pd

15. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Centre of the universe

Is is well known that Basingstoke is the centre of everything which is why we have distribution companies of major companies based here betwixt the M3 and M4 and a myriad of roundabouts going somewhere logistically. Also we have The Anvil [one of the largest & newest music venues in Hampshire].

I suppose London is the obvious choice but it creates terrible problems for non-Londoners who have to travel, parking, expense, late night trouble etc. etc.

What about a daytime meet in a nice relaxing venue like a country pub near a railway station with extra room/stage for entertainers. I suppose avoiding large cities somewhere like near Oxford?

chrs
    andi

16. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Thanks Paul, sorted my time differnece issue now.

How do we feel about somewhere more Midlands, less South, I'm thinking maybe Shropshire-ish? not too far from civilisation but restful & lovely countryside, lots of nice pubs etc? or should we all head to Cropredy this year?

17. Sadfish

cropredy will suit my missus, she'll be spending her life in the fairport tent.

18. pd

We'll be at Cropredy. And Trowbridge.

19. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

What's the secret handshake? :D

20. Sadfish

you have to reach first put your hand in your back pocket, then reach up as if you are changing a string whilst singing to each other love is music at the top of your voice. Then once that is complete you heckle each other for about an hour and then everyone goes for a pint in the bar.