1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you first hear Roy/Nick?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by HarperPR, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

I'm sure there was more. Memory's fuzzy. It was a while ago or might just have been the prescription painkillers...

Glad I saw Roy when I did. I hadn't heard he was thinking of finishing touring for the time being until he said so at the gig.

2. Green Man

Green Man Guest

First saw both Nick & Roy at the Rhythm Festival in 2006, with my good buddy Fenlander (Phil).

What a baptism of fire that was! :w00t:

Phil and I can briefly be seen jigging along to Aeroplane (I'm the good-looking one in the shades lol - he's the one with the beard) on the recent Love Is Music Harpic DVD.

I think we both went with the intention of seing Roy perform Stormcock and taking in the festival vibe. Despite Roy playing a blinding set, it was Nick's afternoon turn which blew us away. Fantastic!

3. jonah

jonah I've got a zappy little nappy

When I was a nipper I was (and still am) lucky to have an uncle who was determined to see me raised on a diet of good music. Thus, he loaned various selections from his vast collection of vinyl. these included Flat Baroque, Lifemask and other such Roy gems. I was instantly hooked. These records coupled with tales of Roy gigs from the past, things like all the power failing at one gig so Roy had the audience join him on stage so they could hear, left me begging for more.

I first saw Roy and Nick live in about 92 at the Parr Hall Warrington. As I was an impressionable youngster the sight of the pair of them playing mesmerising music and steadily destroying their brain cells as they played was a fascinating spectacle. The fact that Roy was complaining that the spliffs being thrown at him were nowhere near strong enough was hilarious. I was comatose just from passive intake.

I then managed to follow Roy whenever he made it to the north West on tour and followed Nick along with it.

4. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

Ahh the Parr Hall, I saw Roy and Nick there several times. Roy never did like the menthol tabaco that always appeared there.

5. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious I've got a zappy little nappy

Roy and Nick

First became aware of Roy when HQ was released. He took about full page adverts in the NME saying that he couldn't understand why he wasn't more popular and how fantastic "HQ" was. I thought - he's a cocky git!! Bought "HQ" and I couldn't understand why he wasn't more popular!! - Still can't either!! Seen him a number of times over the years - first with BlackSheep, then solo, then the Roy Harper Band in Sheffield circa 1983 when he mooned the audience!! Seen him in Bradford around 1979 when he was so stoned he only played about 4 songs (with Andy Roberts) - I walked 20 miles home after missing train - hitched - no luck "Please gimme a lift man!!" Saw him with Nick around 1990 when they did all of "Stormcock". Saw them in Whitley Bay around 4 years ago when they went of at the end singing "Bring Me Sunshine" and doing the Morecambe and Wise routine!!!

Seen Nick a couple of times solo - much as though I like him - I prefer Roy

6. KarinB

KarinB Guest

As a Squeeze fan I first heard of Nick through Squeeze. At first, I was quite annoyed that this other person was standing in between Glenn and Chris and I thought he (Nick) was going to cause the end of Difford and Tilbrook so I shunned him. I seen him play with Squeeze but still took no notice and it wasn't until ???? - not sure of the year but hopefully someone will remind me - that me and my hubby decided to go and see what all the fuss that Glenn was making of him was about so we went to the Dome at Whitley Bay and he blew us away. Because of the 'dome' the accoustics were absolutely fantastic and seeing him standing on the tables was awesome.
    That was the start of the addicition.

Roy - I had never heard of him until I found out more about Nick.

7. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

8. Marcie

Marcie I've got a zappy little nappy

Very amusing blog, Shaun. Although if Roy would have given me the same FU look as this guy thought he did him, it wouldn't have boded with me very well...

9. p.e.todd@btinternet.com

p.e.todd@btinternet.com I've got a zappy little nappy

Umm yeah thats my recollection of the day too.
    I don't remember jigging along to Aeroplane myself but I was a bit the worse for drink.....:p

10. Cozmik

Cozmik I've got a zappy little nappy

The first time I ever heard Roy, was singing on Floyd's, Have a cigar, when I was about ten years old? I have an uncle who is 7yrs older than me, and I use to spend a lot of time listening to everything he was into back in the 70's.
    The first time I saw Roy was playing at Glastonbury, back in the early 80's. He punched Ginger Baker! And that endeared Roy, to me even more!

The first time I heard Nick, was about 10-11 years back?
    I play guitar, and a musician friend of mine, lent me a copy of LATEOTK, which blew my mind; and made me wanna give up playing on the spot!
    The first time I got to see him play was when he touring the Harperspace album.

11. Alan Jones

Alan Jones I've got a zappy little nappy

I was at that Bradford gig too, and I walked home to Huddersfield after missing the last bus. I don't remember how stoned they were, and I thought they played more than four songs, but it was a real treat for me because after seven years of Harper gig-going I finally got to see him play "Same Old Rock".

The first time I ever heard him, though, must have been on a tape one of my friends had made from one of his "Top Gear" sessions - something from "Folkjokeopus" or maybe "Midspring Dithering" which my mates used to like because of the line "And goofing around isn't all so unsound as it seems". Or maybe it was "Nobody needs any money" on the "Rock Machine Turns You On" sampler... it's hard to remember so far back through the mists of time..

12. sughosh

sughosh I've got a zappy little nappy

Roy - somewhere around '94-'95...I knew this chap who ran a small cassette shop and as a side-business recorded albums for you...I found one in his catalog labelled "Roy Harper & Led Zeppelin". Got him to record that for me ...turned out to be "Jugula". Was rather perturbed by it then (I was around 17), but later met a guy who was seriously into Roy's music..lent him my copy of Jugula and got to listen to Sophisticated Beggar and McGoohan's Blues in the bargain. Liked em both, but it wasn't till the early 2000s that I could actually get hold of any of Roy's stuff. So I've been a serious fan for probably around 6 years.

Nick.. sometime last year..downloaded "Double Life" out of curiosity... now the proud owner of probably the only copy in India :biggrin:

13. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Welcome Sughosh! I knew it, I've read your blog :biggrin: http://endlesswire.blogspot.com/

14. sughosh

sughosh I've got a zappy little nappy

Thanks for the welcome Paula! I'd joined this community long before starting that blog, but somehow bever posted :biggrin:

15. Smith

Smith I've got a zappy little nappy

I know people you lot up there in the rarified world of the Northern Hemisphere think NZ is 10 yrs behind the times ( as though that were a bad thing ), but in the early 70's we really were.

We had virtually no music press apart from NME and Melody Maker which arrived basically 3 months late and it was pretty bloody hard to get hold of albums which werent mainstream. So when I read an article by Ian Anderson ( this would be about 72, just before the British press turned on him ), in which he raved about Roy Harper, I just had to investigate.

It took me months to find a Harper album - Come Out Fighting Ghenghis Smith. Not brilliant, I thought, but promising. After a couple of years scouring import bins and second hand record emporiums, I had was right up to date and have remained so ever since.

Ive seen him play only twice. In 82 he toured NZ in a camper van, playing all sorts of out of the way places. His Auckland gig coincided with a Dylan gig at the local enormodome, who arrived in a private plane with various hollywood hangers on - Stevie Nicks, Tom Petty. Roys was a brilliant gig, but the audience was tiny ( in number, not size ).

Saw him again in London a few years later at the 100 Club and sadly had to leave before the show finished. I'll never forget walking up the stairs and out onto Oxford St, to the orgasmic groans of 20th Century Man...

I have Nicks "Seed" album, but have yet to investigate further, despite the ease with which you can buy any sort of music these days. Its a good album, time to get more, methinks!

Anyway, when its focussed, Roys music is unsurpassable. Pure genius.

Cheers
    Smith

16. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

If you can, get Nick's Double Life, his live performance is very different to his studio output, and if you get the chance to see him, don't miss it!

17. Smith

Smith I've got a zappy little nappy

Double Life and the Love is Music DVD duly purchased this very morning .....

cheers

18. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Double Life is brilliant. When it first came out I used to commute into London by train every day, and I can still remember playing it on the ipod and grinning from ear to ear on the journey. The other commuters probably thought I was insane...

19. p.e.todd@btinternet.com

p.e.todd@btinternet.com I've got a zappy little nappy

I'm sure I don't need to say this but hope you enjoy both.

20. mrwalrusno9

mrwalrusno9 I've got a zappy little nappy

Every wednesday morning

Listening to 'wish you where here' sleeve notes back in 88. Bemused about the name Roy harper on vocals. A few weeks later, I was going through the bargain bucket at our price records, came across, ' in between every line' from then on I was hooked.