1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you first hear Roy/Nick?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by HarperPR, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Mistlethrush

Mistlethrush I've got a zappy little nappy

Harper's Bazaar...............

First heard Roy about 1982 at a friends house, they had 'Come Out fighting Ghengis Smith' playing in the background I was completely hooked from then on. I had seen his name mention before; as 'Mrwalrusno9' mentioned, on Floyd's Wish You Were Here. As for seeing them:

Roy: 1984 at The Band on the Wall, Manchester. I have a pound note which he signed and placed a bubble next to the Queen's mouth saying "Hello", he's signed once more since.

Nick: 1994 UMIST Underground Bar, Manchester. Apparently he opened the session for Roy's gig but we missed that as we were late. When he did come on I was totally taken aback.

Nick has also signed the 'Pound Note' a couple of times too!!:wink:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  2. rusinurbe

rusinurbe I've got a zappy little nappy

'Hells angels' on a 'Harvest' sampler album (around 1985) i just had to go and find the album that it cam off of opened my eyes up to a whole new world.
    :m22:

3. Hector

Hector I've got a zappy little nappy

Roy -1969 at Stevenage College of Further Education Students Union supporting Free. Following this bought Come Out Fighting Ghengis Smith and then Folkjokeopus............etc. Next saw RH in the 90's 3 times at Hitchin Folk Club.

Hector

4. riceyboy

riceyboy Guest

Heard Roy for the first time round about 1995 through a mate. Saw Roy a few times after that and heard rumours of a strange little halfling called Nick.

Then in 1999 I saw Roy and Nick together on stage in Edinburgh (The Pleasance i think) and was amazed at how different yet similar they were. Since then i've seen Roy a few more times and been to about 8 - 10 Nick gigs.

A strange case of the pupil surpassing the master i reckon!

5. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Hello ricey. Maybe this is a good time to up your quotient of Nick gigs! Hope you can make one or two of the 36 upcoming.

6. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Au contraire contretemps....

I disagree! How do you surpass the unsurpassable? Mind you Nick is coming up with some amazing stuff. Even though we thought Roy had covered most subjects in the past pretty comprehensively Nick is showing his versatility innovatively.Rather than compare, treat each artist as just different. Or are we all guilty of the need to always compare them just because they are related? Would we listen to Nick with new ears for instance if we didn't know his dad's work? On Nick's recent live recording I received from last year's tour he even sounds like his dad when speaking between songs in my mind. You can detect the Roy way of spontaneously mulling over serious subjects with insight and humour. In visual accordance with his paths of thinking and almost know what he's going to say next. Also he's brilliant at communing with the audience which is certainly an innate gift inherited from God [Roy]!

chrs
    andi :m2:webradio

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
  7. riceyboy

riceyboy Guest

Tickets already sorted for Classic Grand, Glasgow. Thinking about the ABC2 gig, the soundproofing from above aint all it could be........who am i kidding, i'll be there!

8. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

9. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

There's no gig on upstairs yet (oh god remember Sons & Daughters haha), you may be in luck - wouldn't it be great if Nick had the marquee all to himself :biggrin:

I remember that '99 gig at the Pleasance - ten years, good lord! Got the poster from it hanging in my hallway... Big D and I took turns watching the merch desk and running in to see a song LOL. "God Has Got a Girlfriend"!! :D

10. riceyboy

riceyboy Guest

Sons & Daughters, that's it! I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the mob upstairs.

11. Swandive

Swandive I've got a zappy little nappy

My dad brought me up on Roy Harper, so there's no way I could pinpoint the first time I heard him. I recognise his voice like I do those of my parents. I caught him at the Lemon Tree in Aberdeen a couple of year ago, which was extraordinary. As for Nick, my dad bought Double Life as soon as it was out, and I fell for it instantly and proceeded to buy the rest of Nick's albums and to convert many a friend, which isn't exactly difficult.

12. Dollina Tube

Dollina Tube I've got a zappy little nappy

First saw him at Robert Plant gig Glasgow in 2002. What a wonderful night that was. My dad was going through a massive 8 hour operation that day to remove an enormous tumour and we were unsure whether he was going to pull through. About an hour before the gig we were told that he had been rushed back into surgery and his condition was critical.

We drove at break neck speed to be with him in his final hour. On arriving at hospital, we discovered that the nurse had gave us dud information and that his surgery was over and had went according to plan - he was unconcious and in intensive care. Mum insisted we went to the concert after such a fraught time, we needed it. They promised they would phone if his condition deterioted. We went off rather reluctantly. On arriving at the gig, I checked my phone every two minutes and just before the "support" came on, I got a call to say dad had opened his eyes and mangaed to talk a few words. I was so happy as paralysis was a real threat. At that point of great relief, Nick walked on stage and in my giddy headed state, he BLEW MY MIND! It was a perfect first way to see him live.

He puts so much feeling into what he does, its scary.

I saw him again the other night at the Glasgows Celtic conections festival club. When he started to play, I welled up, having not heard him again since that emotional night in 2002. Sadly, folk didn't really realise his brilliance as most of the crowd were young folkies and the ones who would have known who he was, had long since gone home.

NICK, THANK YOU for giving a soundtrack to a very anxious day in my life. My dad is still here too:D (I was the one who shook your hand at the end of your set the other night and stared perhaps a little too intensely as you played!!!):biggrin:

13. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

14. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

That's a lovely story (so glad to hear your dad is okay!), and lovely to meet you on here :biggrin: Was at the festy club the other night, it was pretty cool to see Nick at 4am entrancing the teen dance squad! :thumbup:

15. Dollina Tube

Yeah, the teenybops kinda bopped around for a while then pissed off to the bar. Loved the "Kissed a girl" bit when they all came thundering back down only for him to slip down another alley and disappear into obscurity again!!:wink:

My partner didn't quite get was he was all about but I think I may have to get myself an album or two and relive that awesome performance at the Barras.<happyhappyjoyjoysmiley>:seeya:

Yeah no objections to my comments being used.:biggrin:

www.freewebs.com/dollina/

16. Dollina Tube

Hmm...thought I'd posted something last night - its not here?!?

Anyhow, really funny seeing all the kids the other night not quite knowing how to react to him until he played a few bars of "Kissed a girl" song and they all went mental just in time for him to slip back into obscurity again:biggrin::biggrin:

PS don't mind if my comments are used if any mag comes out.:seeya:

17. t0nt0b0b

t0nt0b0b I've got a zappy little nappy

Glee Club, Birmingham

Just wanted to say hi - also, just registered too so this is the second post!!! Saw Nick last night and was astounded - superlatives are used way too frequently but this guy is amazing. Watched 'Love is Music' a couple of months ago (Christmas prezzie from father-in-law!) and managed to get a seat at the Glee - lets just say we (my wife is a newbie fan too!) will be bolstering our music collection somewhat! :D

18. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

If you're in the West Mids, don't forget he's playing Robin2 in Bilston on April 29!

19. t0nt0b0b

t0nt0b0b I've got a zappy little nappy

Yeah, we spotted this one too! We might go, even though it's a 'school' night and we live 80 miles away!

20. dim

dim I've got a zappy little nappy

to paraphrase jim morrisson..

"i dont actually remember, it must have happened in one of my blackouts"