1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where did you hear about the forum?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by HarperPR, Aug 27, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Curious where members have picked up on this forum from? Roy or Nick's websites or elsewhere? I am always putting the word out - online, at gigs, to friends.:biggrin:

(my invoice for marketing in post, pd!:D)

2. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Only One Place

From the podcast, which I heard about in an email from Tracy at the Roy Harper Shop. If I hadn't signed up for their notices, I'd still be in the dark!

3. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Paul announced it on the Stormcock mailing list, which in turn I heard of from a mutual member of one of the John Martyn lists (Jon Hall, I think), which I found on Usenet, way back when.

Bob

4. HarperPR

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  5. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Not being a huge self-publicist, I tend to have a "build it and they will come" approach. But I suppose it wouldn't harm to spread the word a bit. My only concern is annoying people with too much unwanted marketing!

6. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Annoy One Out There?

It's okay to be modest about yourself, but not about ROY!
    The annoy-able ones won't listen anyway!

Actually, in the U.S., it seems modesty is no longer the way to get ahead, unless you're already hugely successful and annoying

7. HarperPR

I see we've broken the 6000 posts barrier!:cheers2:

It'd be good if we got over 100 'active' members too. What does 'active' mean, Paul? Active in just logging in or actually posting?

8. pd

Active members means registered users that have visited the forum while signed in within the last 30 days, so it doesn't count anonymous viewers.

9. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Don't like that bit about medical testing on a piece of the street teamer's arse for #1250!

I think I'm a bit old for that sort of thing but maye some of our younger members (ahem) could volunteer :)

Bob

10. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Lost you there. Maybe I'm a bit old too.

11. HarperPR

Critch, Bob's referring to a reference in the Guardian piece! Link above.

12. Lolly

Lolly I've got a zappy little nappy

I heard about it through several of the Podcasts and finally got round to it. Apologies for taking so long.

13. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

google search...

14. critch

Linn pestered me about it. Then she pestered me again, and again - and then Harperspace.co.uk went down so I transfered over. I miss Harperspace.co.uk - no offence Paul, it just had a different "feel" about it - and also, being a Nick fan and not too much of a Roy fan (certainly when i first joined) I felt slightly out of my depth when it came to discussing Roy!

15. pd

No offence taken!

There was always going to be a different sort of atmosphere here. The original harperspace forum was just about Nick and had a younger crowd in general I'd say. Here, a lot of the original members are Roy fans from my old email list and I think tend to have a more "serious" approach to the music, and I'd include myself in that.

Actually the Nick part of stormcock.net was always meant to be for Roy fans who also enjoyed Nick's stuff so it must be a bit weird for people coming here that have never heard of Roy and have no wish to :) Sadly the implosion of the old Nick forums meant that people needed to find other places to go. I still wonder from time to time whether Nick might prefer a Nick-only zone - he must be well and truly fed up with people talking to him about his Dad, but it's also a fact that a large proportion of his audience are also Harper Senior fans.

16. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Aww I'm touched anyone misses the old place! Hands up, I just haven't had time to consider bringing it back, and wasn't sure anyone was bothered. Now that I've changed jobs and I may have a bit more free time, maybe it's time to revive a forum for Nick, but more to work hand-in-hand with this one... is there any more interest than me and Critch?

And Paul, I love everything you've done, just miss the old vibe a bit :)

17. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Forum discussion about the Forum

Well the way it's been set up has certainly turned me onto Nick in my dotage and probable visa versa some people for Roy. Perhaps the easiest way to cope with such bifurcation is to rearrange the Forum Headers a bit e.g. General Roy ; General Nick ; Podcast Roy ; Podcast Nick; Tour Nick ; Non-Tour Roy etc., so people can select at source their preference of path file? Or set up a parallel Forum which bifurcates at inception for those wishing to either enter into Roy or a Nick topical world? And if SPB has plenty of time on her lovely hands she can go back through all the Archives and separate every posting as such, as some sort of electronic filing clerkess!! :wink:

Furthermore if PD admin controls the RH bit; and SPB or LPR the NH bit, then more of the old guard from Mistlethrush may re-engage and people like Funky Monkey may reappear? Bound to be some overlap though I would have thought? There could even be an auto-reroute from Mistlethrush then straight into the Roy Forum which would make it more neatly unified and save us time?

c/a :biggrin:

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  18. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Sadly the archives of the old Forum are dead (or as good as, seeing as the dick who owned it wouldn't pass them to us before he took them down :angry: ), which kills me as there was a lot of good info there. And a lot of rubbish (much of it from my bad self) but highly entertaining all the same :wink:

But a phoenix may still rise from the ashes... :biggrin:

19. critch

:hurray: Can I vote twice? Both hands are up...

20. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

I thought

SPB/

I thought most comp info was recoverable these days? And don't understand how it ain't saved on your system or others. Actually I wasn't refering to the prev Forum but this one.

c/a