1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who do you think you are?

Discussion in 'Anecdotes' started by HarperPR, Aug 30, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

New website launched today can tell you!

Type in your surname and find out where your ancestors are likely to have originated from and where the greatest concentrations of any given surname are.

Have to say, I only managed to log on once before the site went down so I still don't know where the Bs are most popular! But try it out. Might be a bit of interesting fun for the weekend.

http://www.publicprofiler.org/worldnames

2. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

So where do the PRs hail from then?

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Name search site

From Maxcliffordland where all PR's originate from,hope to emulate, and aspire to, to return to their homeland! There was another old site which I went to ages ago, just for the UK, which pinpoints surname hotspots which is prob locatable on a Googly search. An exact DNA search now that t'would be interesting, not just the general ethnic origin search option.

chrs
    andi

4. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

grr..

been trying to get on that site, but it's always busy when i try-just as the article said it might be. damn, i love stuff like that too! i'm away to have another try!!

5. wobbly bob

eh?

'B'? that's an unusual surname!

6. HarperPR

Same here!:bored:

7. HarperPR

Haha! I know there's a lot of Bs in the US, but not my line. I guess that names with 'son' originate from the 'son of'. As for my own direct family tree, we got back as far as around 1616 then stuck. Interestingly, our line back through generations have all figured strongly in 2 fields: law and the arts. Even today, my brother opted for the former, me the latter.

8. wobbly bob

son of a b...? eh?

9. wobbly bob

yaaaay

finally got on. loads of us in yorkshire and midlands. new zealand...? particularly in 'hawkes bay'-got an old school mate out there-gonna get him to check out the relatives. canada....

mainly, as i thought, yorkshire and the midlands!

great stuff!

10. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Finding a high proportion in India and Switzerland was a surprise for me, surely the Indian version must be spelt differently. :confused1:

A really glitchy website though...:rolleyes:

11. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Very interesting. My surname is common in the UK as expected, but there are also a lot of us in New Zealand and Australia. My mum's maiden name is unusual and seems to be German. She always said it was from Europe but I'm sure she said it was Scandinavian.

12. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

There's very few of "us" around (McGachie) - a sprinkling in New Zealand as well - in actual fact I think there are some in Canada and the US, as well as Scotland. It's sad to think the name will die, one day, but inevitably I think it will. I think my "forefathers", if all the names are related somewhere in the past, scattered to the wind - I can only theorise it was possibly due to the potato famine, or some other economic necessity.

13. HarperPR

Finally, got onto this site today. Our name prevails in Australia, US, GB, NZ. Most in this country in North West and E Midlands.

I looked at Harper: they come out in GB, NZ, Australia, US. Most in this country in Altrincham, Cheshire - which, spookily, was listed also for where the Bs hang out!

14. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Wouldn't "HARP" -er by IRISH?

I couldn't get on. MY Great-Grandfather changed the spelling from "K" to "Cramer" in Pennsylvania in the 1800's. A German/Dutch name meaning merchant or businessman (what a surprise he said sarcastically).

My first and middle names are both surnames from British/English Ancestors.

J. W. C.

P.S. K/Craemer and K/Cremer are more likely to be from the Dairy Industry (Cream).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  15. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

*swot hat on*

Harper is actually a Scottish name, part of the clan Buchanan:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Buchanan
    Funnily enough they were the musicians (Harp-urs or Harp-ers) of the clan :D Even found a citation from a Harper visiting Scotland:
    http://travel.ciao.co.uk/Loch_Ness_Scotland__Review_5126523
    "The woman in the Scottish Heraldry shop traced my surname and it turns out that we are actually Scottish. The Harpers were tenants of the Buchanan clan, based around the banks of Loch Lomond in Lanarkshire, and dating back as far as 1260, which was the earliest reference she could find. Apparently, Harper was indeed an occupational name given to musicians who entertained the Chieftains and Kings in their courts, and were given some special privileges (so we weren’t just lowly buggers after all!)."

Lookie, they even got a crest and a motto - 'pleasant and brave'!
    http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.c/qx/harper-coat-arms.htm

Plus a gratuitous pic of Nick in a kilt just cos :wink:

[​IMG]

*swot hat off*

Back to the original topic, I figured out I'm about 1/14 of all the people with my last name in the UK :svengo:

16. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Most Critchley's are in the NW of England. Funny that! :)

17. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Name search

I just searched Davison and it came up Outer Mongolia!
    Only joking poking Paul, keep up the excellent podwork.
    How have you got the blessed time to keep us amused I wonder?

chrs
    andi :m14: in podheaven [neologism]