1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it so quiet here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Travellerman, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Is it just me, or has the forum been through a bit of a 'quiet spell' recently? I'm rather surprised as there's a tour happening right now and I would have thought it would get busier if anything.

:confused1:

2. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

hmm. I think it's since I asked for written material for the magazine, they all scarpered.

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Q&A of R&NH @ HD'O

Ask them for a list of hackneyed expressions ['friendly fire' etc.] which get on their moobs these days?

Bet you one of them include moobs in the lyrics of one of their next songs now!

Words are contagious and we all contribute to neologisms/ neophrases by spreading them around like flies on cow's muck disease. The more people you infect with your sniffles at work the more you help them claim sickness benefit.

I loved Neil Young's honesty when an upstart English DJ [someone like Chris Evans] asked him if one of his songs was a tad jingoistic and straightaway he said he did not know what the word meant and asked for an explanation.

Perhaps Roy comes across jingoistic in some of his repertoire? One of those days in England etc..... Bruce Springsteen definitely does as Mr. America the bossman.

chrs
    and

ps Without changing threads again....and continuing with the hate list of wordspeak - anyone that uses French to sound erudite; Dog Latin as an example of their pointless etymological linguisticism; Cockney Rhyming Slang to sound one of the boys; quotes from songs which they obviously don't understand; jokes which you've heard before and you pretend to laugh at the punchline which you'd forgotten, and, anyone that sings football anthems. Walk on with hope....:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  4. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

A Negative Sandwich

Well I was going to write something about the Oxford gig ... but every time I started to put pen to paper ( or rather typed ) ... my words began to get very negative ... so I never hit the submit button. Not that the gig was bad ... in fact it was quite the opposite ... though Nick was slightly embarrassed that he might not have given the crowd enough ... as he had to finish early, so the venue could turn into a night club. In fact ... he did play for 3 minutes shy of 2 hours ... which IMHO is damn good value for a tenner. I mean I saw the Twang the other week and they only played for one hour ... and they certainly weren't embarrassed about that !!

Nick even told the crowd that he would give anyone who complained, a free ticket to any other gig on the tour ... I'd seriously be surprised if anyone asked him for one !?

No ... the reason why my previous attempts were turning negative ( & yep it's happening again ... just have to hope I hit that button this time !! ) is because of one person who was in the crowd ... who spoilt the gig for a lot of people ( & IMHO I believe this includes Nick ! ). I'm not going to mention his name ... but he knows who he is ( in fact he was the only other person I recognised in the 60-70 crowd, except my mates ). Good banter at gigs ... is IMHO a must ... but you just need to know when enough is enough !! Especially if you eventually tell the artist, that you aren't really a fan of his ... but really his dad's .... and also try to make the artist feel bad ... when YOU have to leave early ... very strange indeed !! At the end of the gig ... I was outside listening to a few people talking about the gig .... but unfortunately, they weren't saying how good Nick was ( of course I might have missed that part of their conversation ) ... but they were just talking ( not very nicely ! ) about that one individual in the crowd ... if that's their lasting memory of the gig ... then I feel very sorry for them ... and Nick !!

Anyway ... let's finish this note, with another slice of positivity !!

The venue was a lot better than I imagined .... it's now called the O2 Academy ... even though it still says Carling Academy on the outside .... this is a real plus ... as it means that they sell lots of different beers now and not just Carling ( not that I made the most of it, as I was driving !! ). Nick was on a natural high ( due to Liverpool's thrashing of Man U ) but kept making snide remarks about the lack of people at the gig ( again that's why I wondered in an earlier post, why Linn hadn't drummed up much enthusiasm for this date ?! ).

Behind him on the stage was a large "object" covered in a black sheet ... and Nick was suggesting that it would be used later in the evening, when he starts his magician part of the set and would be looking for a volunteer for his levitation trick ( perhaps this is not coming over to well ... you probably had to be there !! ) In the end the cover was removed ... but alas it was just hiding the mixing desk for the disco !!

I can't remember the set ( it was nearly a week ago ! ) ... but I guess it was similar to the rest of the tour ... with a nice rendition(?) of "Stairway to Cowley", "The 38", "Sunshine", the first line to "Hallucinating Light" and a cracking version of "By My Rocket Comes Fire" complete with string change ( apparently ... though I wouldn't know, according to my mate the "B" string ).

At this point the venue staff were slowly moving in ... apparently he HAD TO get off stage at 10:00pm ... so we felt lucky, that he managed to stay up there until 10:12pm !! I was more than happy with that ... gave us time to get back to High Wycombe ... and get to the pub for 11:00pm ... and the obligatory lock-in !!

Overall (despite you know who ?!?) ... a good night.

5. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Snap, Chris, I've been trying to post in this thread too but I keep deleting it :blushing: and thanks for the review, the timings sound like an Edinburgh gig!

6. Travellerman

:D

Is this character :conehead: on the forum?

7. aspwatterson

ooops!!

Two rugby matches and the football that day with weatherspoons at 99p per pint syndrome I think which won't reoccur. Promise. Mind you Nick's tour blogs seem positive and I'd made him make you all laugh at me. Sometimes you just want to 'get out' there with him and he has that effect on some.

mea culpa andi :conehead:

8. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I'm moving this thread to General because it has become on-topic.

I've been subjected to those sorts of gigs before (if you shudder at the word "Mandy" then you have too). There is a fine line between witty banter and being a total pain in the arse but sadly detecting this line is an ability not given to all. Personally I would feel profoundly embarrassed if I felt I'd spoilt an entire night out for so many people, particularly as money for things like gigs is so hard to come by these days for so many.

9. aspwatterson

At..

At the risk of waking up a sleeping giant [BC] I think his review was a bit OTT. NH has broad shoulders inherited. Nothing was ruinated by me at all... part of life's stream...including their depictful songs aboot it... hope someones got a bootleg to prove it. Or ask NH.

Probably diff from some of you? Coz when he plays Aeroplane I wanna get up and dance and not sit toe-tapping at a table. Must be my mum in me?

andi

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  10. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Well it would be interesting to see your reaction, if you ever did listen to a bootleg of the show !! Because after you left, Nick appologised to the crowd for your actions/comments ... he might have broad shoulders and is used to it ... but not sure about everyone else !!

Again a strange response there .... because there weren't any tables in Oxford ... and I didn't see you dancing !!

11. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

From what I've seen/heard Nick tries to be very reasonable and easygoing with hecklers, perhaps arguably to his own detriment. But come on, why should he have to put up with a constant dialogue that throws him off the gig? Last time I checked, he's a musician and he's the one putting on the gig, not anyone in the crowd. And don't get me wrong, a heckle or two can be absolute genius (and I've been guilty in my time!), but I've nearly torn my hair out a few times when a heckler just had no idea when it wasn't funny anymore :angry:

12. aspwatterson

Well..

Well hands up. Apologies all around again. The rugby or something infused my weedy brain. Twill not happen again and will climb mountains in penance. Just some of his songs concur on a level of joyful exuberance which is hard to hide that's all...

cher
    andi

13. Mr_Plod_The_Pessimist

Mr_Plod_The_Pessimist I've got a zappy little nappy

.........and there we have it - this thread started on why is it so quiet here?

I was going to leave it at that but have just watched the West Indies v England one day cricket game and started mentally composing a rambling Roy sleeve note. During the match a batsman had to withdraw from playing a ball because a local's sound system kicked in. The West Indian commentator advised that the "DJ" perpetrator had previous form and, when confronted on that occasion, had said (words to the effect of) "Well I paid for my ticket, I can do what I like". I immediately thought of ASPW - sod the rest of us, he is going to have a good time - be it on-line or now, frighteningly, in person.

People that I have met as a result of the original Stormcock and this site have, 90 per cent of the time, been the sort of people I would invite to sleep at my work premises. We had, and I hope have, a shared respect of Roy and Nick.

Like Big Chris, I well recall shows marred by people behaving badly - e.g. Shepherds Bush Empire and one of the 100 Club's. I also recall shows where the banter went well "The Spitz", "Bloomsbury " etc etc - because there was underlying respect.

I remember being really annoyed going to see Nick at the Mick Jagger Centre in Dartford a couple of years' ago when he walked on stage to be greeted with an idiot in the audience shouting out "How's your Dad?" before he had sung or played a note. Why shout that out? We were there to see Nick. The idiot was shouting a personal question to someone he did not really know. I have never introdeced myself to a Stormcocker by asking "How's your Dad?" Or was it something to do with ego and wanting to show the world that he had heard of Roy Harper?

This thread started because a patently good guy wants to know why there is radio silence and another wants to produce something we shall all enjoy and wonders why he is getting no material. I never saw, or knew about, the original Hors D'Ouevres so am loooking forward to the resurrection. Maybe there is an article here about the Nutters of Roy whose witlessnessisms constitute the Black Cloud of Narcissism.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  14. aspwatterson

OK..

Okay, if this is a quiet thread that's burst into life, then so be it...

Just to set the record...

From time immemorial have always extolled RH from the mountaintops..; now NH.

Some people don't get it; and that used to worry me.

Spent many a lonely eon trying to convert the unbelieving sheep..believe me....

Nothing compares.

Say no more.
    chrs & goodnite from andi

15. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I'm lost! Is this thread on topic, off topic or right over the top(ic).:biggrin: And what is the topic now? It started with Trav commenting that it was quiet on the forum, Pete responding it was probably him having scared people away, then Andi replying about Latin and Cockney rhyming slang, then a gig review from Chris...now we're onto sheep herding.:D

But back in Oxford...the Acad always metamorphs into a club on a Saturday night. And didn't Chris spot Moth and Jane there?

I always used to wonder, when I first started seeing Roy, why some bloke or other (was that you Andi?!) would inevitably keep shouting out at some point 'White Man!' Now all I hear is 'Titties & Beer!':angry:

16. aspwatterson

Shark bait

Not so sure about sheep hearding - more like surrounded by sharks trying to bite a slice out of you; drooling vultures waiting to pounce over your entrails laid bare on the dusty Serengetti; New Forest rabbits stuck in headlights of speeding cars; drowning cats in bags off Southsea pier; escapees caught in Gestapo floodlights on gulag barbed wire fences; Gordon Brown being cooked slowly on a rotating spit at Question Time in the House of Commons and so on....

And all we need is our music which unites us!

But not of the Radio GaGa scenario of gagging, gibeful, gaffe-iacious, grumbly groaning, gallfully gripeing, heckling type. Point taken. Have sworn an oath of silence to the Pompey chimes tonight. And will keep well away from those bars full of football and rugby. They've got a giant TV screen by Portsmouth Guildhall these days...it's like sitting in your front room with your feet up on the coffee table [Guildhall steps] watching the match without the nagging & the kids distracting you from the beautiful games! Saw Jethro, John Martyn [RIP] and Ralph McTell in there years ago. Roy used to play the Odeon in Southsea and Loudon W III @ Central Hotel on Southsea Common. Memories like the corners of my mind in every street down here.

chrs
    andi

17. Travellerman

Phew... there's an irony in your having posted on this thread 3x as much as anyone else... isn't there? :D

Banter at gigs is good, I've been to gigs in the USA where the [insert big name] artist hardly spoke; I could have stayed at home, saved the money and just played the ******* CD as that is what the performance was like!

However, some people just don't have any consideration for others or know when to STFU. What annoys me even more is that, being polite and English perhaps, no one will step up and tell the individual to "button it", that's not the world I live in. Quite frankly, if a hundred people go to a gig and suffer in silence whilst someone 'destroys the night' in this way, they deserve it.

I was at that 100 club gig a few years ago with the "ranting woman" who wouldn't STFU, I thought security would take care of it, they didn't, I couldn't really believe what was happening. And then there was some idiot who got up on stage and wanted to play with Roy and chat to him... the gig wasn't even over! Unreal, last 100 club gig I bother with.

Ummm, anyway, I'm glad things have picked up around here and it's good to see at least a few 'new faces' as a result of the gigs. :D