1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wikipedia - Harper entries.

Discussion in 'Press and Media' started by Travellerman, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Harper

I've been working on this for a while, adding bits and pieces, tidying up, I have also tried to set up a discography and enter details for all Roys albums etc...

It's a bit of a Herculean task at the moment, as is the job I'm doing! but if there are any Wiki' editors here, or anyone who can think of any corrections, names, links or other information that should be entered then feel free to do so. Alternatively, post the details here and I'll try and update the page as soon as I can. I am good at data sifting and structure, but when it comes to reviewing songs or albums from a purely musical / technical aspect I wouldn't know where to start! Obviously I know what I like and why I like it, but I'm simply not a musician.

What I'd really like, is to get the discography completed, but this involves setting up new pages, formatting them correctly, research (photos, links, reviews etc...) and also battling the 'Wikipedants' who seem to want to remove a lot of information! So, any help with the discography section would be wonderful (I can then work on the text later).

Remember, it is supposed to be an encylopedia so there's an element of factual 'coldness' or neutrality to the articles, but I really think Roy's worthy of a decent article. There are many links from him to other articles and individuals, and vice versa, and hopefully (at least in this little piece of cyberspace) Harpers influence and importance can be established and elucidated.

Thanks.

Stephen

2. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

good stuff, interesting read. if i think of anything i will post it...

3. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Nick-ipedia

Just bringing up this topic again as I read an article today on Wikipedia and it reminded me I hadn't looked at Nick's page in ages. I noted that the page has a few admin flags on it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Harper
    The one about peacock terms makes me laugh :D but they do have a point, it's got a lot of (too much?) bigging-up along with the facts. I've been guilty of this a bit in my time but now Wikipedia is more clear (and nitpicky!) about do's and don'ts. Can pages get wiped if the administrators aren't happy with them?

4. Travellerman

If something has been flagged, there there's a good chance that the item will eventually be removed. I think Nicks page will remain, but parts may disappear.

Wiki has a certain 'style' if you like, the last time I read Nicks page it was a little to errrr 'gushing' to say the least so I imagine it needs to be 'cleaned up a little'. It is supposed to be an encyclopedia, not a review site after all.

I didn't know anything about html coding until the obsessive compulsive in me began to tidy up a Harper entry, I don't have much time to spare at the moment but chip in where necessary. I'm glad to say that at least the studio album discography is almost complete. :biggrin:

5. scotpaulabear

It is a bit of a fun time sink, innit Trav :biggrin:

Anyway, I've started a cleanup process on it to de-peacock and make the Wiki gods happy, and if I can get my act together I may start adding stub pages for all the albums. If anyone else wants to jump in, please feel free!

6. Travellerman

Sorry, I don't do chav speak. Translation? :confused1: :D

But you're correct, it's a never ending task and requires a lot of fact checking and resource finding to create something that will satisfy the 'wikipedantics'.

The problem I find, is that it's sometimes hard to satisfactorily reference claims that go back prior to the internet's existence and arguing that with teenagers is like banging a head against a brick wall.

Just in case you didn't know, there was no history before the internet unless you have a link to prove it :wink:

7. scotpaulabear

8. Travellerman

Absolutely! I've been there '3 years, 8 months, and 5 days' and I've still not finished :D