1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Williamson Tunnels

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Jan 19, 2008.

1. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

'twas meant in jest, as are all (well, most) of my remarks.

Chillax, PR!

2. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I'd like to think I'd helped, but to be honest Nick sells himself! And what's this about not complaining? I always complain. Very loudly! :biggrin:

But Nick and you, are very welcome. I can't think of much worthier cause to devote my time to!

Critch

If I had all the time i'd spent listening to Nick's songs back, I'd listen to Nick's songs again.

3. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Do we have an Edge Hill plan yet? Or are you all off to the Everyman?

4. critch

You go to Edge Hill if you like, but I'm going to the Everyman. I'm not too keen you see on being shot.

5. HarperPR

Are you being deep there, because I am giving up The Twang for sake of this jaunt! (I wonder if Nick knows any of their stuff!)

6. critch

Hey! I'm not trying to spoil things! You'll see the state of the area! I think there was a stabbing there the other week! I don't want to lose a Harper Fan on my watch! (Of course a Twang fan might be a different matter! :p)

I'm sure if Nick does know any of The Twang's stuff, he'd do it better than they do! :tongue_smilie:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  7. HarperPR

1. You're wibbling

2. This is not a wibble thread

3. You've insulted The Twang

4. Now you are not coming to my birthday gig

8. critch

:iagree:

:crying:

Sorry!

9. SimonF

SimonF I've got a zappy little nappy

Admit it, you only ran into the Ladies to hide from me!

Not the first time that's happened either, but that's another story...

Ah well, I thought we could have done it as a mark of solidarity with Nick's efforts. It'd be a bit like Everest, but without the altitude sickness and oxygen starvation, though to compensate you'd have the risk of getting mugged.

Is Critch's Merc bulletproof, do you know?

I met up with him in Manchester. Sarah was, sadly, noticeable by her absence.

I'm confused now, as the party seems to be a bit split on the meeting place. I shall have to read the thread fully to see where we're up to. Shall be in touch over the ether if all else fails.

10. HarperPR

You're confused? Join the club! Can't get men to organise things as well as a woman can! If I knew the area I would have done it.

(PS I do know my birthday area though - just a hint...)

11. SimonF

"Birthday area"? That sounds awfully like a yoofamisum.

I didn't get where I am today by bandying my "Birthday area" about.

12. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

I think Critch has done a lovely job finding us a place to drink where we won't get killed. That would be a bummer really :rofl: But I'm staying about half a mile away in a place I know is pretty decent, so the surroundings can't be too bad!

(now I'm worried whether I can walk to the gig haha)

13. Joe the Mole

Joe the Mole I've got a zappy little nappy

Get real Critch! There's nothing wrong with this side of town as the staff from the Williamson Tunnels will testify!

The Mount Vernon on Irvine Street is a large pub with good beer and the natives are friendly and unarmed.

14. critch

Well i obviously can't please anybody so i think we'll just see you there. Mspr and simon, i presume you'll be ok walking down from edge hill together?

15. HarperPR

Right, so I have to find my own way from station to venue, hoping I don't get mugged or stabbed along the way, in an area I don't know. That's it then: it's The Twang instead.

16. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

Looks like all your plans have got a bit confusing.:rofl:

Ill see you all there, I have 6 mates with me one of which is a virgin to sacrifice to the Harper following (he has only just got round to seeing Roy last year after being a fan since Jugula) He'll be the one gawping in amazement:biggrin:

17. HarperPR

Well for all those who weren't there, tonight was a first for 'Nick Harper and the Harperettes'!

Thank you 'Mr Mole' for organising the event and getting a nice crowd in - those who braved the stabbings etc! And to both Barbara and Eddie for their hospitality. What Joe Williamson might have made of it, I don't know!

18. SimonF

And there was you saying no-one gets up and dances at Nick's gigs:
    [​IMG]

I'll try to get some gig images up later today, too late and too knackered to do that when I got in this morning.

19. peej

peej I've got a zappy little nappy

That was a great gig, last night in the Williamson Tunnels. Nick was a bit late coming on but we must have got a couple of hours from him.
    Despite some very noisy, disrespectful sections of the audience (I'm talking here about the people who paid to hear their own voice all night, as well as the performing seal and the cockatoo!) Nick shone and made a lot of new fans in the process.

Of the songs I can remember (in no particular order)...

Aeroplane
    Treasure Island
    Simple
    Guitar Man
    Evo
    Real Life(?)
    Galaxy Song
    Field of the Cloth of Gold
    Love is Music (string break mix)
    Titties & Beer (including ad libbed verses)

That guitar of his took quite a hammering but only two strings submitted under the onslaught during the evening. The sound was fine considering it was in a low ceilinged tunnel. Nick's voice was angelic in parts and Devilish in others. He spoke in detail about the Everest gig and the charity he was supporting, this led into the beautiful song about his Mother (sorry, I don't have all his albums yet so I don't know what it's called).
    Nick said he'd wanted to come to the tunnels for a couple of years, he thanked the staff & volunteers for all their work keeping the name of Joseph Williamson alive, before playing 'Treasure Island'.
    A bit of background info about 'Evo' preceeded the song, this was interesting as I didn't know the story behind this enigmatic leader.
    'Love is Music' was spun out to about twenty minutes long, this included bits from lots of other songs as well as a string break.

Nick seemed to have a couple of computer problems (what is on that Mac screen?) but he didn't let them stop him at all, apart maybe, from his decision to not play his only single and go straight into 'Titties'. This was quite a different version from the one I saw him perform several years ago at the New Brighton Rhythm & Blues Festival - but just as funny, especially the drunken dancers who Nick immortalised into the lyrics of the song as well as inviting them up onto the stage to strut their funky (drunky?) stuff.

A great gig in very unique surroundings. I look forward to the next one.

Love & Peas, Peej

PS: If anyone has a recording of the gig (especially 'Love is Music' & 'Titties') I'd love to hear it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  20. HarperPR

Set list (in order!)

No Truth Up In The Mountains
    Three Magpies
    Aeroplane
    By My Rocket (with string break)
    Good Bus
    Guitar Man / Whole Lota Love
    Real Life
    Simple
    Field Of The Cloth Of Gold
    The Verse Time Forgot
    Evo
    Treasure Island
    Imaginary Friend
    The Galaxy Song
    Love Is Music / Out Of Time / Headless / Grace / Four Sticks (with string break)
    Tittie & Beer

The song about his mother is Imaginary Friend