1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wittering

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by Bob Jacobs, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

This Forum seems to have been taken over by exiles from the Nick website, whose sole purpose in life seems to be to exchange childish banter here, across as many forum topics as possible. Any chance of confining them to one small corner for wittering?

Yours grumpily trying to keep up...:mad:

Bob

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I don't think that's very kind, Bob. As I understood it, everyone is free to contribute. I don't necessarily have interest in everything posted on the forum, but I am accepting of others' right to express themselves and feel a part of the 'community'. This is a forum after all. Have a look at some forums out there and I think you'll find this one quite 'mature' in comparison!

3. Bob Jacobs

It wasn't intended to be very kind. It was a cri de coeur! No offence intended but the amount of wibble hitting my radar has become intolerable. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is seriously considering abandoning this forum.

Bob

4. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

One of the advantages of a forum for communication rather than the "old style" email list that Bob is also a member of, is better mechanisms for controlling what you read and don't read. If Bob is able to identify a collection of people whose postings he doesn't care for much, he can go to the "User CP" and add those people to the ignore list (it's towards the bottom I think). He should then not see those people's posts in the future though of course he'll see replies to those posts from people that are not on the ignore list.

Bob, I haven't tried this properly myself so I'm not 100% sure that this works with the "new posts" icon being not set and so on, but it may be worth a try if you're getting really riled up.

For my part, speaking personally, I have no issue with the content here and don't find it a bother to navigate through it (and I get an email as soon as anyone posts on here!) so I would not want to discourage anybody at all. Indeed, you can be assured that as soon as I do feel inappropriate content appears, I'm on it like a ton of bricks as I believe in firm moderation to maintain a certain quality or tone for the place.

Paul.

5. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

i suppose a certain amount of wittering is inevitable when theres so little real RH news to talk about and when its humans talking about nothing in particular... although i havent seen anything really objectionable here. Im just glad i dont have to wade through it to find the emails i want to read anymore! its definitely easier to dip in and out of the threads that interest you on the forum and the rest are quite ignorable.

6. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

My understanding of a forum is a place to make friends, discuss things and chat. The thing that we all have in common here is that we are Nick and/or Roy fans. Now I've never heard anything by Roy in my life! Is that a problem? I'll get around to it eventually, but as I don't believe in ripping him off and getting illegal copies it'll have to stay like that until some time that I have enough spare cash to go and buy something which I potentially might not like.

Now I met Paula at a gig in Scotland earlier this year. Did the conversation go "Hi", "Hi", "Bye", "Bye"? No. Mainly because we had chatted about loads of stuff online and we were already friends - I think that's great. I can't go down to my local and talk about the lyrics of Treasure Island cause, sadly, no one has a clue about who or what I'm talking about. So I do it here. And the bonus is then, when I go to a gig, I can meet up with like minded people and have a little more to say than a cursory greeting. And yes, we wobble off topic a little bit. I'm sorry, but it happens.

I fail to see the point of this forum if people just stay silent. What are acceptable posts? Would "I saw Nick outside sainsburys with 2 pints of milk and a pack of jelly babies" be acceptable?

7. HarperPR

On seconds thoughts, I am editing this as nothing more than pure wittering...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  8. critch

Ahhh yes! But I read it before you edited it! :D

9. HarperPR

You would!

And yes, I have a big problem with your never having heard anything of Roy's and made no attempt to do so! You're a heathen!

And what was Nick doing in Sainsbury's anyway - getting inspiration?

10. critch

No! Milk and Jelly babies.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  11. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

It is for you! You are starving yourself of something very special. Treat yourself and buy Flat Baroque & Berserk for xmas!

12. critch

Sounds like a good plan. About time I did it!

13. Bob Jacobs

OK Paul: thank you. I've added three, who shall remain nameless, to my "Ignore List". This may prove awkward, since occasionally one of them posts something interesting, but it should, hopefully, reduce the chaff on my radar. I accept all the points made by Critch and HarperPR about the usefulness and friendliness of forums. It's just that, if you're not part of the conversation at the time, it quickly becomes dead air - and reading it to ignore it is annoyingly time-consuming. Automated ignoring may be a bit indiscriminate but worth a go. I still think a "wibble" thread for meandering banter may be a good idea though :)

14. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I don't want to rock the forum boat here , but I do tend to agree with Bob re: wittering, there are plenty of other forums on line to chat bubbles about nothing to anyone who's remotely interested. However I was of the understanding that I'd joined a unique Harper site for dedicated fans who have more than a passing interest, or may have heard a Roy/Nick Harper song round a friends some time last Julember! Anyway I also agree with Linn about the guy who has never heard any of Roys work..what's it all about, maybe someone would like to enlighten me without wittering ;^)
    Shaun I

15. critch

Shaun, last time i checked this was a nick and roy forum. Now while i may not be a roy fan, i'm a big fan of nick's so i thought i'd be welcome here. As you obviously can't even be bothered to find my name then maybe i'm wrong and not welcome.
    I think it's really sad that a rift seems to have developed between the 2 groups. Since i've not done anything to provoke it but i'm getting the hassle, may be i should leave instead of poor bob who i do sympathise with.

16. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Please - no one should leave at all!

Enough!

I'm a fan of both Nick and Roy but personally I am as happy to see good honest natured human interaction, gossip and banter as I am to see musings thoughts and doodles on the Harpers.

Just about every forum I've ever contributed gets a " the nature of the posts" criticism sooner or later. Part of the problem with the written word is it remains set, unlike the spoken word which is transient. I am forever telling my colleagues at work to shut up (invariably falling on deaf ears) but it is soon forgotten...something like this can fester for ages.

Oh well, it's all horses for courses, but people should stick around until the final furlong! (Jeez, I should write for Christmas crackers!) :w00t:

17. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

i think a poll is the only solution. roy or nick.

18. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Not Jammy Dogers and Custard Creams? :)

Dooh this is / was a reply to Critch's much earlier post in this thread I am a fool scuse I for wittering

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  19. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

If I promise to hum 'Hallucinating Light' to Critch next time I see him, am I welcome to post? :blushing:

20. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Ah, I noticed Nick was brand conscious...he had in one hand a bag of King Edwards...and in t'other a four pack of Stella...

He'd gone in for.....

some....

Wait for it......

Tatties and Beer!

Ta dum *ching*!!