1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wittering

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by Bob Jacobs, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Mia

Mia I've got a zappy little nappy

I'm afraid I'm another who hasnt really listened to Roy. But I'm also a late convert to Nick's stuff as well! I think thats why this forum is a good idea because you get the chance to find out more about both of them.

2. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I wasn't inferring that anyone should leave, quite the opposite really critch, I just thought Bob had a point about a seperate platform thread for non Harper related topics, then people have the choice to visit it or steer clear. Just as everyone has their right to an opinion, whether it is viewed to some as valid or not it is still their opinion, maybe a referendum on a seperate forum for such topics maybe needed, I don't know maybe pd could be referee! ;^)

Shaun I

3. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

There is a platform called "off topic" for this, maybe it shoild be called "wittering"?!!

4. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Just got back from an intensive day's consulting for the cancer research institute yesterday where I didn't have time to come here and see what was happening...
    Exactly.

This is a bit of storm in a teacup ("little cup of tea" - name that track) isn't it?

Do I need to do the "bad cop" act and put on my black overcoat and gloves, turn on the spotlight? You will enjoy yourselves here and you will get on well with each other or there will be trouble!

Frankly I was delighted to get so many new people posting on the forums. We're all on the same side people, and are big and ugly enough (in my case at any rate) to be able to get along just fine. Aren't we?

5. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Confuddled

Well I've read everyone views and comments and now I don't have a clue what has just happened.

I'm voting that I'll just forget it all ever happened and get on with wibbling whereever the thread take me - though I promise I'll try to hold it to the "off topic" area if at all possible.

And if anyone is wondering, who isn't from harperspace.co.uk cause they probably already know, I post a lot from my phone, so hence the grammar and stuff is a little bit wrong - HarperPR's excuse too! :biggrin:

Shaun: Ms PR told me you were a good bloke and to be nice so I shall assume that I got the tone of your post wrong and say I'm sorry for being a little harsh in the post.

6. SHAUN I

Big & Ugly Enough

I think paul has a good point we're all big enough and ugly enough to get on with each other, despite a bit of a storm in a tea cup (come out fighting GS BTW) and life can be a bit of a squabbling affair at times, not everyone shares the same view and it would be very boring in fact if they did. However as grown ups are just silly children most of the time ;^) I'd like to think we can respect each others opinions and views and maybe just compromise on this, and crack on with what we signed up for, Roy and Nick fans alike and in mine and most cases - both..thanks.

Shaun I

7. critch

So is Shaun I like I for the start of a surname like H is for Harper or is it like "first" as in "the madness of King George III?

8. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I understand how the entrance of a few new people can alter the 'taste' of what some have grown accustomed to, it's happened on a few forums I have been on for several years, however the 'flavour' usually returns in time as things settle down a little. Mind you how old is this forum? Is it already 'established'? and usually criticism or complaint comes from senior members with several thousand posts too.

There's an "ignore" option here if needed, though personally if I'm not interested in a thread, I find 'not reading it' usually does the trick. ;)

9. SHAUN I

Shaun The First

No it's nothing as grand as that critch, when I signed up there was already a Shaun so I used the first letter of my surname, good theory though ;^)

10. critch

:D You should have ridden with it! Gone the whole hog! Sir Shaun I of Weirdshire! Trace the royalty back 6 generations and you could enter jousting tornaments!

All hail Sir Shaun!

11. pd

This forum was set up earlier in 2007, but what you have to realise is that a lot of the initial people here have been, and continue to be, on the email list that I've been running since 1989 or 1990 or thereabouts. So there is rather a long history...

12. SHAUN I

Shaun the first.

i have a son named Shaun so technically I am Shaun The First I suppose, and according to my other half when i reach for a Harper or Zappa cd I'm Lord Weird, wonder if that counts as royalty? :biggrinjester:

13. Travellerman

Understood. Ironically perhaps, I left the list for similar reasons to Bobs comments here. Forums find their own form.

14. pd

Actually that's rather heartening. One of my motivations for setting up a new space was to make it more accessible and more welcoming to newcomers. Bob didn't help so much with that one! :leaving:

15. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Sorry for the "unwelcoming"

I'm just that grumpy old bloke at the corner of the bar, :( , nursing his half of bitter when all those bright young things flounce in, ordering their alcopops and stick that "pop music" on the jukebox. :rofl: I'll get me coat :)

All I was asking for was a bit less "noise" and more content. Incidentally, I soon found that "ignoring" certain posters didn't work for me. I think I just need to "not read" threads that seem to be going nowhere that interest me.

Bob

16. Travellerman

Errrr.... you mean Nick? :confused1: :rolleyes: :D

17. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Oh no - I don't impugn Nick, just the bright young things that support him (tongue in cheek and ducking as I speak). Incidentally, incessant chatter can be charming, such as yesterday when emanating from my 6 year old granddaughter, but is less so from sundry herberts I know not.

Bob

18. Travellerman

Ah I see, well that's ok then. I'll be sure to avoid those jumpered, bearded, be-spectacled, old farts supping their ale in the corner, discussing their ancien memories of concerts in the '70's, as I flounce in to order my Alco-pop and babble irrelevancies (tongue in cheek, naturally ;) ).

Stephen