1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Witterings

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aspwatterson, Oct 17, 2008.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Go to :

www.enchantedlearning.com/paint/rhymes/colouring/Missmuffet.shtml , or search for the rhyme Miss Muffet on their site....there came a big Google spider and sat down beside her.....etc.

Addendum

I am a child
    I last a while
    You can't conceive of
    In the pleasure of my smile! [NY]

andi :biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  2. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

WORDPLAY extraordinary

I keep thinking there ought to be a connection between the Satire of The Firesign Theatre and ROY, then I tell myself, NO! They're both longtime faves of mine though, and their political commentaries seem compatible.

If you've never heard them, I recommend:

WAITING FOR THE ELECTRICIAN OR SOMEONE LIKE HIM "Have you seen the palace? You must, it won't be here much longer!" "Here, in this life-size replica of the Taj Mahal, made entirely out of oleomargarine, resides our guru, the tiny Dr. Tim. Let's knock on the door, and see if he's 'In.'" (Sound effect of knuckles on...)

HOW CAN YOU BE IN TWO PLACES AT ONCE WHEN YOU'RE NOT ANYWHERE AT ALL (includes most famous piece The FURTHER ADVENTURES of NICK DANGER)

DON'T CRUSH THAT DWARF, HAND ME THE PLIERS

I THINK WE'RE ALL BOZOS ON THIS BUS (My least fave of their best)

The TALE OF THE GIANT RAT OF SUMATRA (featuring HEMLOCK STONES, a cheap imitation of Sherlock Holmes, who makes the wrong conclusion!) "What happened? The lights went out in the bathroom and I missed everything!"

EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG!

SHAKESPEARE'S LOST COMEDIE

Their first album is excellent satire, and NICK DANGER is their most popular (count the Beatles lyrics they work into the 25m piece). Wordplay throughout their work. DWARF is the groups' (and my) favorite, but a bit obtuse for first time listeners.
    Check out firesigntheatre.com. PLANETPROCTOR.com has bi-monthly posts with PHILIP PROCTOR's jokes and commentaries for many years. (Phil is sort of the Michael Palin of the Group. Apparently he's the unseen announcer on BIG BROTHER-TV, which I never watch. Their voices have been in several more recent animated features).

The cover of DWARF has artwork that shows them as two Saggitarian Archers, a Leonine Lion and an Arian Ram (The three FIRE SIGNS, hence the name no one seems to quite figure out). They have something over twenty combined and solo albums since 1968. Started in CA radio.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  3. NoCelebrity

APOLOGIES for errant threading

Go to the beginning to see what this was originally about.

Sorry, Paul and Paula for making your jobs as moderators seem less important, but ANDI started it and LINN only encouraged me!:D

4. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

You all go on. My brain hurts trying to follow all of it :wink:

5. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Andi, you make me bloody laugh sometimes! You are truly a child of the universe. A loose cannon somewhere in between Spike Milligan and Freddie Starr................................

6. HarperPR

Whey...hey...Don't blame me.:wink::D:blushing:

7. NoCelebrity

Credit. Blame. It's all the same.

8. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

The line is very thin at times... :wink:

9. NoCelebrity

S. Park Republicans

Just saw a poll today that says South Park is preferred by more Republicans than Democrats in the U.S.

Getting back to the original subject of this thread:

What does our new MODERATOR ScotPaulaBear think of the poll?

10. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Split these posts into Off Topic from the Site Suggestions: Mods and Rockers thread.

11. HarperPR

Are they witterings more than wibble then?:D:wink:

12. NoCelebrity

Lost Across the Pond in Translation

What?:ack2::confused1:

"Mimsy were the borogoves..."

Thank goodness Paul is back!...

ScotPaulaBear did a wonderful job, BTW. (for those who lost track of this thread)

13. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Not sure

Not too sure if that's a compliment or what?

I was actually trying to do a review of NH for you based on his mountain exploits in relation to his music but haven't heard enough of his stuff yet.

The instrumental Riverside I love and the allegorical review would be something akin to beautiful mountain stream trickly bits and waving gorse hillsides in the rain sodden icy wind with scudding flocculent clouds to full blown glacial scree landslides / avalanches down the fretboard towards cavernous karst topographic caverns of sound. Get the [snow] drift? Mind you when learning a new song sometimes it is like doing the Inca Trail and all those never ending stone steps up and down going seemingly nowhere sometimes. Onwards and upwards!

chrs
    andipandi

[trying to keep fit! BTW I am sure the English weather keeps us toned up! All that shivering is good exercise methinks! Still haven't put the central heating on yet - apart from fuel bills - it is a good way to keep fit by trying to keep warm in the house or cheat by wrapping up in a cosy duvet with someone/thing you love]

chrs andi :m9:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  14. HarperPR

We have a Wibble thread here for er, wibble and a Witterings one for, well, wittering. I was pondering the difference?

Agreed: The Master has returned! Can't believe Paul didn't check in on us even once!

15. HarperPR

I think it was a touch of both a 'compliment' and 'or what'!:biggrin:

Reviews will be welcome in 2009!

16. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Actually it was lovely; I didn't touch a computer for 2 whole weeks and I think it did me the world of good. Last time I did that was on our honeymoon. I can recommend it to any other "jaded computerphiles" out there.