1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wot's On in Sydney in March - stacks!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pH, Mar 3, 2008.

1. pH

pH I've got a zappy little nappy

March is amazing for music in Sydney. I had imposed a moratorium on gigs for the month as I could not afford the expense. The East Coast Blues and Roots Festival in Byron Bay brings a huge number of acts to Australia and many of them play spinoff gigs around the country. If you google the East Coast Blues and Roots you'll get this

http://www.bluesfest.com.au/main.aspx

Click on 'playing schedule' and you will see what I mean! Even Mavis Staples ... Mavis Staples!! And Chain ... click on the Chain link (heh!) and you'll get a youtube sample of the great band I used to go and see in 1971. They're still on the circuit and they're qwintessentially Australian in their approach to acid electric blues. They played at the Uni where I work last year and they did a one hour free gig at lunch time on the library lawn. Sensational. I went over to see who was on and it was bloody Chain. (a bit like working at Cambridge and having Fairport playing a free gig at lunchtime) I couldn't believe it. Matt Taylor has a beautiful, dry delivery style and tells stories like nobody else. He's one of our legends.

more later,

Pete

2. pH

and do go to the link for Johnny Green and The Blues Cowboys to see a great version of See My Baby at the HotDog Stand!! I saw Johnny Green's HouseRockers in about 1993. What a band. Remember ... these are Australians.

3. pH

So, in what is now a hat trick of posts on the same thread ... I omitted to mention before that, although I have imposed this moratorium, I have actually violated it by getting tickets to one gig:

Ron Sexsmith and his band.

I have long loved Ron but have never seen him on his many trips here. I feel that a band setting will show his material in the best possible light. He has previously toured solo.

Can't wait ...

P