1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would Roy approve?

Discussion in 'General' started by SHAUN I, Oct 11, 2008.

1. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

These vids were posted by someone yesterday on Youtube, How Does It Feel from Beyond The Door DVD and Hangman from Once, I just wonder with the recent debate on here regarding copyrights etc. what Roy's personal feelings about his work being put out there like this, were? Just a thought! Amazing live version of Hangman though..:m8:

Shaun

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=i2DJfbjD_AA
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W8ok0kRexZQ

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008
  2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

If these are directly lifted from copyrighted and commercially available material (as opposed to a public performance) without the permission of the copyright holder, it is, to me anyway, morally reprehensible.:thumbdown:

3. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

These guys are definitely big RH fans, and obviously aren't making money, but nevertheless this type of thing must have a big impact on the artist, in terms of breaching copyright laws, loss of direct sales etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008
  4. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I think Science Friction is well aware of what's online and what isn't, and I also think that if there was a real issue with something that was on You Tube it would probably be pulled. Just a hunch. :wink:

5. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Copyright material

Oh come on! Why should Science Friction know what is out there and what not? It's Roy and Tracy! Things could be out there for ages before they became aware of them, unless they had a really sophisticated RoyWatch program running on YouTube, MySpace, Flickr etc.

As for the actual content of the material and whether it is copyrighted, I don't know. By rights, I'm sure it "belongs" to Roy, but whether he has legal copyright over it or is worried about it is another matter.

If I were him, and obviously I'm not, I would think of this material as acceptable publicity that encourages viewers to buy the commercial material - free publicity, if you will - but Roy's point of view is not always predictable, so I've no idea what he would say. I don't remember him expressing a definitive point of view on the podcasts - but he did ramble on somewhat, so he may have done.

Bob

6. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Because I tell them. And, as a result of a recent incident, they have an option as copyright owner to have things removed rather quickly from Youtube if necessary.

7. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

ROY's Family of Representatives

I'm curious how so many people with ROY's best interests at heart can be in such disagreement.

How did T'man tell Roy and Tracy about the unauthorized use of his material? By email, or are they somehow best buds?

Is HARPERPR really Roy's PR agent, or is it just Linn's way of saying she is a true fan? Bob Jacobs and ShaunI are trying to find the delicate balance between promotion and giving away copyrighted material.

Then I come in with my "two-bits" (an American Quarter Dollar) or two-cents worth. Does my forum name say I have no talent, I oppose or reject Celebrity, or is it meant to be ironic? Is it an attempt to connect with some portion of Roy's public persona? (I've written before it IS a song title for one of my "unknown" songs. I've not written how protective I am of my original material, so that's a brief and vague explanation of my viewpoint.)

Isn't it just possible Roy wants to live his life as the rest of us without buying into the whole CELEBRITY package? Do his "day job" then head home for his private life. As Bob says, it's just Roy and Tracy. That tells me a lot. I see Roy as a person with both a public and private life. If he chooses to ignore reports of abuses of his copyright ownership, that's his right. As an honest person, I suspect Roy hopes everyone will appreciate his WORK and compensate him fairly according to the rules of commerce we agree to live by.

I say Roy has good reason to be happy with his success, how he's chosen to live his life, and with how much he has contributed to society.

The duty is not in collecting what you are owed, but in paying your debts.

8. HarperPR

You make a valid point. I think we are all just sticking our twopenn'th in and voicing personal opinions.

I personally have something of a problem with how it seems anyone's image or work can be used willy nilly on the internet and there is little comeback.

For the record though, NoCeleb, I am not and have never been Roy's agent! That name came up when I started doing PR for Nick. (Now, strictly it's Say It Now PR as I also work with other artists and it was not fair on them to be represented by another artist's name!)

But, yes, definitely a big admirer of Mr R Harper!

9. NoCelebrity

I guess I/we have an "old fashioned" opinion for two young Libras re: privacy and property.

For the record, I worked in MGM's Publicity Dept. in 1980 ("FAME") as a college intern, so I might be suspect when it comes to criticizing the whole CELEBRITY trip.

Or does our experience make us more expert? (Shameless self-promo)

10. HarperPR

MGM? Who did they have at that time? Did you continue in the biz? I started out in my very first job as a junior working for one of the big music papers at the time. As I was on the phone, I got to speak to the likes of Roger Daltrey, Peter Gabriel (who many years on I worked for for awhile) and John McLaughlin (a really lovely man). I think that's what whetted my appetite for music and writing. Later worked for booking agents like Neil Warnock and then for Yes. Then I had enough of that world and worked in other things, before coming round full circle again!

11. NoCelebrity

HARPER PR asked for it!

As the "creative" member of a family of business and investment types I have several answers.

KIRK KERKORIAN (Tracinda Inv. Corp.) owned and/or controlled 41% of MGM, spun off gambling, then shut down the studio in 1974. In 1978, MGM started up gradually again, combining operations with UNITED ARTISTS (It was MGM/UA in 1980). He also owned about 23% of COLUMBIA, where Sherry Lansing was first Prez and COO.

Kerkorian hired CONVICTED embezzler DAVID BEGELMAN (see Cliff Robertson re: IRS investigation) (Indie Prod with Freddie Fields, "HOLY MOSES") as Prez and COO of MGM/UA for 5 year contract beginning 1 Jan 80. Ex- Ithaca College fellow alum Michael Nathanson ("The DEEP") arranged two internships.

Gary Gershaw had the other internship, and was a prod. asst. on "CHiPs" TV show with Erik Estrada. He also worked the pilot for "The Goodbye Girl" TV show (Directed by Vincent McEveety) that never made it to air. Gary had a cameo in the opening segment of "CHEERS" as a mailman who made fun of CLIFF CLAVEN, and gave Bill's Mail (non sequiter) to Coach

From "FAME" I met: All the kids except Antonia Francesca (Ballet). Anne Meara (Ben Stiller's real-life Mom), Eddie Barth (taxi-driving dad of "Bruno" Martelli). Michael Montgomery (Acting, played his original song in movie) begged me to be in my next college film. Both Producers David De Silva, Alan Marshall and Director Alan Parker (PF's "The WALL"). Worked the West Coast Premiere.

From "HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT" I met James Caan.

My Publicity Dept. Boss was Deanna Wilcox, though I was the universal go-fer. VP was Al Newman ("What me Worry?" not his slogan). Clippings, etc. was Nancy Spaulding. Ted Hatfield and Bill Katzky did Transportation and other logistical support. Dore Freeman was the STILLS dept. director who apparently liked young men (eew!-like me). Dore was a sweet old man of 70 plus with a big print of JOAN CRAWFORD ("The only woman I ever loved") behind his desk. My last day, after lambasting Christina Crawford's tell-all book "MOMMIE DEAREST" for months, Dore said it was all true! Three years later I met Christina Crawford and Pat Riley (NBA Coach) at an event in LA.

I did promo books of favorable reviews for distributors. I handled some research screenings for lesser movies, including TOM HANK's first "HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE" and TREAT WILLIAMS/BLAIR BROWN's first "WHY WOULD I LIE?" which I never saw in theatres. At a private celebrity preview of "FAME" I confirmed ROBERT WAGNER's ID for a guard who knew me but not BOB, aka Al Mundy, Robert Hart. Barely met or saw or did errands for many other big celebs.

When my bosses discovered I often knew other companies' execs through my family, they tended to be embarrassed this midwest boy had hidden skills. I never met MR. BEGELMAN, who's contract was quietly cancelled after 2 and one-half years.

After college, jobs were available in the Securities Biz, so I kept writing in my own time while working at jobs that paid. I've been an extra in movies (met my ex- in "SHE'S HAVING A BABY"), look for me at the near end of the bar 10 minutes into "NEXT of KIN." The scene where Adam Baldwin meets crime boss Andreas Katsulas' (G'Kar from BABYLON 5) new stepson BEN STILLER (him again?).

In my midwest life: My mutual friend of the BILL MURRAY died earlier this year (Both about 10 years older than me. I met BILL once when I was 26). In my High School Film Class I studied with MARK ROMANEK (also college roomie) who directed "ONE HOUR PHOTO" with Robin Williams and music videos; The world famous Restauranteur CHARLIE TROTTER; Hollywood Actress VIRGINIA MADSEN (two years younger--she slept with "Frasier" without the sex!). This Paragraph repeats the shameless name-dropping I've mentioned before on the forum. But It's amazing--the class never had more than two dozen students! Not so amazing for New Trier High School, if you google...

To date, I acknowledge writing 13 completed songs and a sci-fi novel and a satirical screenplay/treatment. Do I hesitate to find celebrity for myself?
    The answer is probably "yes." Depends on the definition of Celebrity.

"Would you suffer FAME for your success?
    Don't give me a publicity mess!" -from my song titled "No Celebrity"

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  12. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

well...

i doubt very much that crappy, blocky little low grade videos (on youtube) that don't play properly, and are usually WELL out of synch are going to have THAT much impact on sales of top quality dvd's from major international companies. but hey, what do i know?

or is it time for a new 'super-duper' computer...?

13. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Didn't Roy...?

Didn't Roy say he was thinking of constructing a new Web presence as one of his future projects? Perhaps it's under wraps as a top secret behind Irish castellated walls somewhere? For some time I've thought his current website/shop looks a bit tired & dated compared with all the latest designs / link opportunities available these days. Imagination...we'll close our eyes and drift away....and imagine a collaborative interactive picturesque George Fortish panoramascape? Maybe it could include his next songs released as an Internet video bio-album or something? A lovers journey through it; giving him the credence he deserves in this day and age of cybernet wine and rhyme communing at the last supper table with the Master. Rock of ages. Also would be interested to know what he thinks of Stormcock.net and it's worthy endeavours / ideals so far. As he said recently there's a Roy out there in cyberspace somewhere carrying on regardless; which is not him, but it is.Walking alongside himself....

c/a

[youtube]eSlpM8XibdE[/youtube]

[youtube]foMwW-e7dmY[/youtube]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009