1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YT recommends...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aspwatterson, Aug 10, 2009.

1. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Well obviously we are not ... "we" made that horse do those party tricks, because we are the stronger race !! I've always been against any "sport" that forces animals to do things they don't want to do. If you put a horse in a big field and let it do whatever it chooses ( freedom ) then I'd be very surprised if it decided to prance around like in the video ... or go up to a human and ask them to get on it's back so it could take 'em for a ride.

I'm not a luddite ... I appreciate that the horse has done many amazing things in the past and have helped shape the world we live in ... but we have now advanced as a race and so I think they should let the horses go and do what they want i.e. no more horse racing/show jumping or making them prance around !! But somehow, I don't think my feelings will make much difference with the horse luvies in the world !!

2. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

Do you eat meat Chris?

+A

3. bigchris

Absolutely !! Do not see anything wrong with that ... Survival of the fittest !! But surviving is essential ... horses doing tricks and show jumping is not.

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Sleeping giant's awoken!

Would you eat me if we were stuck in an Andean [no pun intended with Andy!] mountain plane crash then to survive? :beatdeadhorse5:

andi

5. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

I feel the same way about zoos - never enjoyed 'em really, they make me sad for the wild animals who are now caged there :bored: And for those who say that it at least protects endangered species - we're the ones who endanger them in the first place! :blink:

6. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Eating meat is not 'essential' to survive though, is it?

7. bigchris

I personally believe it is ... but I've not got enough energy to get into that discussion at the mo - there are pages and pages of discussions on the net about how the world could not survive if everyone turned vegetarian ... though of course some vegetarians disagree ... personally I have "bigger fish to fry" at the moment !!

8. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

“I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat animals who are” (Groucho Marx) :biggrin::beatdeadhorse5:

9. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

There are pages and pages of discussions on the net about how the moon landings were faked and how Paul McCartney is dead. Doesn't mean they're true. The meat industry and the factory farming system inflicts significantly more cruelty on animals (and then kills them) than horse racing or horse jumping. Yet you appear to only object to the latter.

+A

10. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

This is obviously directed at Chris, but here's my tuppence worth. All three activities have occured for hundreds of years, and will continue for hundreds more probably, the animals are bred to eat, if we didn't eat meat then they would have absolutely no purpose being alive, and wouldn't have spent time on this earth, so at least they have experienced a year or two of life that they would never have had! To me. there is nothing wrong with eating meat, it is as normal as breathing for human beings. The only people who disagree with this are..wait for it, people who don't eat meat, they then try to justify reasons not to eat it!! Suprise suprise..Just because we can survive by not eating meat, doesn't mean that we have to. Like beer, good wine, cigarettes, and some other vices I possess, I love nothing better than a piece of fillet cooked medium rare, IMO it beats lentils, tofu, and nut roast every time.:rant:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
  11. bigchris

I knew I should have backed down at this first question ... I normally love nothing more than a good argument with vegatarians ... though normally in person, so we can get really heated !! But as I said before, I have other things on my mind at the moment and so this will be the last from me on this topic. A topic that started because all I said was that it was cruel to make horses prance about ... and I don' think (?) anyone has proven otherwise.

12. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

We agree. I agree that it's "cruel to make horses prance about". The fact of the matter is though, what happens to animals in order to produce meat is much worse. So you object to mild animal abuse, but condone major animal abuse.

13. bigchris

Yep I suppose I do !! I object to any animal abuse that just results in people having pleasure because of the abuse ( like prancing horses ) but IMHO we have to kill animals to feed the billions of people on the planet ... In an ideal world the animals that we eat would have a nice life, but in the end, we still have to kill them to give everyone on the planet a half chance of a decent life - we are after all the dominant species on this planet and the term "survival of the fittest" is as true in our lives as it is with the lions and tigers in the African delta or the blackbird in my garden eating a worm !!

14. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

Im an omnivore and I enjoy meat, I don't think that eating animals is in itself wrong but I do think the industrialisation of meat production is wrong. I don't need to eat meat therefore these cows, pigs, chickens and so on dont need to spend their lives in squalid misery. When I think about this I find it hard to justify eating meat to myself - i dont need or want to contribute to that industrialised process. My way of dealing with this moral crisis of conscience is to push it out of my mind. la la la la

[​IMG]

also, I wonder if all these factory farmed chickens and cows are going to feed the hungry in the poorer overcrowded parts of the world or are they going to feed western greed

15. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Probably, if you're an Inuit :)

16. aspwatterson

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  17. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Shaun: you need to have a better cook making your lentils - our lentil stew is fantastic if I do say so myself :biggrin:

18. aspwatterson

And...

...and a good nut roast with Tahini sauce beats meat anyday...!

andi

19. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I was put onto this band today, but didn't have a chance to listen to them until the 2hr journey back from Oxford when I had these on continual repeat!

Don't know much about them except they're Belgian and the singer's called Bert!! They are playing The Garage on 16th. Anyone want to come with me? I have a spare guest place.

http://t.co/dR10Hxi

keep your eyes off the girl! Haha
    http://t.co/2s6UFvs

20. aspwatterson

Nh -yt

Sorry if this been posted before but it's truly wonderful...

[youtube]kfCisy5zdZo[/youtube]

Ditto .....

[youtube]WZcMBpst88M[/youtube]

Andi

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010